A look at our latest recipe, pasta with roasted red pepper sauce, which has been put together by our club chefs.
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 3 tsp of tomato paste
- 400g whole roasted peppers (jarred - drained weight)
- 4 garlic cloves (sliced)
- ½ tsp of smoked paprika
- 300ml whipping cream
- A handful of basil leaves (10g)
- 500g dried penne pasta
- Salt & pepper
- Freshly grated parmesan
- Start by heating the olive oil in a non- stick pan over a medium heat, then add the onion and cook for 5 mins until starting to soften
- Add the tomato paste and stir well over a medium to low heat for another 5 minutes
- Meanwhile cut open the peppers, rinse and remove the seeds then pat dry
- Add the garlic and smoked paprika to the onions and cook for 5 more minutes stirring continuously
- Add the peppers and cream then simmer for 5 more minutes
- Stir in half the basil then season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the items from the pan into a food processor or blender and blitz until smooth.
- Then cook the penne pasta in plenty of boiling water for 10-12 minutes.
- Whilst the pasta is cooking, return the blended sauce to the pan and bring to a gentle simmer, taste and adjust the seasoning if required to your taste.
- Drain the pasta in a colander (saving some of the water) and add the pasta to the sauce with a splash of water.
- Finally, portion and serve the pasta! You can sprinkle with fresh parmesan & fresh basil to finish it off.
NOTE: Fresh peppers can be used instead of jarred ones, just brush peppers with olive oil, salt and pepper then place on baking tray either cook in a hot oven until charred or place under a hot grill until skins are blackened. Place them in a deep bowl and cover with cling film until cool, peel off skins and seeds then pat dry.