Gareth Southgate says Callum Wilson is fully deserving of his first senior England call-up.
The Cherries frontman was named the England senior squad for the first time on Thursday afternoon ahead of upcoming international fixtures against USA and Croatia at Wembley Stadium.
And after netting seven goals in 13 games so far this season, Southgate is excited at the prospect of working with the forward once again.
“Callum is a striker we’ve worked with briefly in the under-21s, so we know plenty about him,” Southgate said during his squad announcement press conference. “He’s a threat in behind and has contributed both goals and assists this season.
“It’s a good opportunity for us to have a look at him in training and to see how he fits in to what we do. It’ll also be good for him to get a feel of working with the rest of the team.
“I think part of being a footballer is showing the resilience to come back from injuries and rejection.
“Callum has had that with injury, but he’s got back to a really good level and has been a key part to Bournemouth’s season so far. He has earned the right to a call up.
“Bournemouth have started season well. They’re a team who have had some fantastic performance over the last couple of seasons.”