We're delighted to bring you our next club recipe, which you can try out at home! Tak
Take a look below for full instructions.
- 500g whole raw beetroot (3-4 medium beets)
- 100g unsalted butter (plus extra for the tin)
- 200g bar plain chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100g plain flour (gluten-free)
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Tip – Wear a pair of gloves when preparing the beetroot to stop it from staining your hands!
- Top, tail and peel the beetroot. You will need about 400g in weight once the beetroot is prepared.
- Roughly chop the beetroot and put it into a large bowl, then add a splash of water and cover with cling film.
- You will then need to microwave the beetroot on high for approximately 12 minutes or until tender.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170c or gas mark 4.
- Butter and line a 20x30cm traybake or a small roasting tin, then roughly chop the chocolate and cut the butter into cubes.
- When the beetroot is cooked, pop it into a sieve to drain off any excess liquid. Once done, place it into a food processor or blender with the chocolate, butter and vanilla. Blend until the mix is as smooth as you can get it
- Put the sugar and eggs into a large bowl, then beat using an electric hand whisk until thick, pale and foamy (this takes a couple of minutes). Spoon the beetroot mix into the bowl and use a large metal spoon to fold it into the whisked eggs - try to conserve as much air in the mixture as you can!
- Sift in the flour, cinnamon and cocoa powder, then gently fold these in to make a smooth batter.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes or until risen. You want a very slight wobble with the mixture when you shake the tin.
- Finally, place onto a wire rack to cool and then cut into squares. Enjoy!
Allergens – This recipe contains dairy and egg. Please ensure you check the ingredients on any store-bought items to make sure they are suitable for any dietary requirements.