AFC Bournemouth is pleased to announce that it has been awarded the Advanced Level of the Premier League Equality Standard in recognition of the club’s commitment to equality.
The club is one of the first to have achieved the advanced award, the highest degree of acknowledgment in the Premier League’s programme, at the first attempt.
AFC Bournemouth achieved the preliminary level of the Equality Standard in July 2016, before being granted the intermediate award in June 2018.
We have worked continuously since then to progress equality, diversity and inclusion, and achieve the challenging demands of the advanced level.
The Standard considers all areas of a club’s operations, including its role as an employer and the work of the Community Sports Trust.
In order to achieve the advanced award, clubs are required to provide a substantial submission which illustrates that:
- Significant progress has been made towards diversity across the club’s senior management and staff, including the Community Sports Trust, as well as supporters and participants in outreach programmes.
- Good practice is demonstrated in the way a club addresses under-representation across all levels and areas of activity.
- Leadership is shown at all levels of the organisation with regards to equality.
- Mainstreamed equality is displayed throughout the organisation.
The club’s submission was considered by an independent assessor and a Premier League Equality Standard panel made up of independent experts chaired by former player Garth Crooks.
Included in the highlights that were commended were:
- The consistent, positive progress since 2016 and its initial preliminary level submission.
- The club’s committed and effective leadership; for example, the development of its LGBT Allies work and the Everyone, Together initiative.
- The use of EQIAs in decision-making and the club’s confidence in assessing equality impact in its response to Covid-19.
- The openness to feedback, the strong external engagement with stakeholders, and the willingness to respond to that feedback practically and effectively.
Following the advanced award being achieved, AFC Bournemouth general manager, Liz Finney, spoke of her delight.
"Attainment of the Advanced Level is extremely pleasing as it demonstrates our club’s ongoing commitment to equality across everything we do.
"The support of the board, staff, players and supporters has been key to this achievement and together we will continue to drive the club’s equality strategies."