icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon
Sign in
Forgotten your password?


Match report: Angers SCO 0-1 AFC Bournemouth - Marc Pugh strike secures Cherries' unbeaten pre-season

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth

The French outfit finished ninth in France's top division last season but were undone by a fabulous Marc Pugh strike after just two minutes.

The only goal of the contest all started from a high press which enabled Callum Wilson to track his man and steal the ball in opposition territory.

He laid off Pugh on the left, who cut inside to the edge of the box and rifled a lovely right footed effort into the top corner from 20-yards.

The Cherries continued to dominate the ball but weren't able to carve open the Ligue 1 side.

Pugh did come close again to doubling his tally just after the half hour mark, following some lovely combination play from Lewis Grabban and Charlie Daniels on the left, the ball came to Pugh who hit a low effort an inch wide of the left post from the edge of the area.

That was the last real action of the first-half but Angers came out in the second full of vigour. They tested Adam Federici early into the half with a long range effort, which the Aussie stopper had to dive low to his right to palm away.

That vigour and eagerness to impress though was to be the hosts' downfall, as the Angers full-back went steaming into a mistimed challenge with Pugh, which left the winger rolling around in agony. After an off the ball altercation as well, the defender was sent off, meaning the Cherries would play the final 30 minutes against ten men.

Pugh got up to his feet but was replaced by Shaun MacDonald, with Dan Gosling moving into a more advanced position.

The ten men of Angers though could have clawed themselves level just five minutes though, but Federici made a top save to deny the hosts' frontman who struck from the right of the box from 12-yards.

Eddie Howe then gave some game time to under-21s duo Ollie Harfield and Ben Whitefield, who replaced Ryan Fraser and Nathan Ake.

It was a second-half of few chances, the Cherries continued to have the majority of the ball but couldn't create a clear-cut opening against Angers who sat plenty of men behind the ball.

Sam Surridge and Jake McCarthy then came on for the final minutes replacing Wilson and Harry Arter and that rounded off the game which meant that Howe's side end the pre-season schedule unbeaten in seven games.

AFC Bournemouth: Federici, O'Kane, Jordan, Ake (Harfield 79), Daniels, Fraser (Whitfield 70), Gosling, Arter (McCarthy 86), Pugh (MacDonald 60), Grabban, Wilson (Surridge 86). 

Substitutes: Holmes (GK).

Breaking News