icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon


Match report: AFC Bournemouth 1-0 Cardiff City - Jordon Ibe scores second pre-season goal

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth

Eddie Howe’s side returned to the south coast for the first time since their last Premier League home game against West Bromwich Albion in May, as they continued their preparations for their second top flight season.

And it was a successful afternoon as Jordon Ibe’s fine solo effort on the 11th minute ensured the Cherries ran out winners over the Championship side.

As expected, Howe named an entirely different XI to the side that travelled to Berkshire less than 24 hours earlier, with new signing Brad Smith lining up at left-back, whilst fellow former Liverpool team-mate Ibe also made his home debut.

Howe also received a timely boost with the return of Adam Smith, who has been sidelined since last season through injury, at right back.

The Cherries started the game brightly and it took them just 11 minutes to take the lead, with Ibe picking up the ball inside the Bluebirds half, taking a touch and running at the defence before unleashing a curling shot which nestled in the far corner.

The home crowd were on their feet for the new summer signing and the Cherries were in the ascendancy. 

Their next chance came through Lewis Grabban just minutes later, as he took a deft touch before dragging his low effort from distance wide of Marshall’s upright.

Cardiff did have glimpses of goal, with Anthony Pilkington blazing the ball over the bar on the 20th minute but the Cherries were, in truth, dominating.

And on 25 minutes, Benik Afobe did well to hold off pressure from the defender on the right, before cutting the ball back to Grabban who took a touch but couldn’t keep his shot down.

The Bluebirds were enjoying spells of possession but Adam Federici remained untested as they fired their efforts comfortably wide.

Ryan Fraser also looked lively on the wing, and he saw an effort from inside the area deflect wide on the 35th minute.

Ibe, one of the standout performers for the Cherries, came close to adding a second on the 36th minute – his ferocious shot from the corner of the area seared narrowly over the crossbar and into the empty South Stand.

One disappointment from the first half for the hosts was the early withdrawal of Harry Arter through injury, as he was replaced by under-21s midfielder Ben Whitfield.

And the youngster almost had an immediate impact, playing a lovely through-ball to Afobe, only for his well-placed pull-back towards Fraser to be cut out before reaching him.

The Cherries made one change at the break as Jordan Lee replaced the returning A. Smith.

And within five minutes, the hosts nearly saw their lead doubled as Afobe latched on to a poor clearance before slamming a right-footed effort just wide of the post. 

Afobe was again at the heart of the next attack just six minutes later, as he broke and picked out Ibe. Manga was the hero for the visitors though, as he got a crucial deflection to ensure it whizzed past the post.

A double change from Paul Trollope on the 60th minute almost paid off as just two minutes later Ralls sidefooted a precise effort towards the bottom corner, which went inches wide.

The home fans were able to see another of Howe’s summer signings in action from the 65th minute as Lys Mousset was introduced and he enjoyed an effort of his own on the 77th minute as he cut inside on the right and fired an effort over.

Cardiff too saw glimpses of goal, with Noone whipping a ball into the box, only for Immers to head wide from five yards.

However, the end of the game was somewhat stunted by changes as Howe opted to utilise his whole squad and introduce a number of Stephen Purches' young guns.

But it was another impressive showing from Howe's evolving squad, and they held on to see out their second pre-season win.

AFC Bournemouth: Federici, A.Smith (Lee 46), Jordan, Cook, B.Smith (Harfield 87), Ibe (Green 75), Surman, Arter (Whitfield 36), Fraser (Buckley 80), Grabban (Matthews 75), Afobe (Mousset 67).

Substitutes not used: Stanton, McCarthy.

Cardiff City: Marshall, Fabio, Peltier, Morrison (Manga 46), Connolly, Richards (John 60), Ralls (O'Keefe 79), Whittingham (Noone 79), Pilkington (Ayayi 79), Immers (Gunnarsson 79), Gounongbe (Zohore 60).

Substitutes not used: Wilson.

Attendance: 4,036 (259 away fans)

Referee: Andy Davies 

Breaking News