icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

AFC Bournemouth vs Oxford City Women at Stadion.Core.ViewModels.Matchday.LocationViewModel


AFC Bournemouth


Oxford City Women

FT 26th January 2020 2:00 PM
Verwood Town FC
Stats Sponsored by

Women hit six in League Cup quarters

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth


AFC Bournemouth Women made it through to the semi-finals of the League Cup with a 6-0 win over Oxford City.

Terri Harvey bagged a brace, while there were also goals for Rachel Anderson, Abby Jones, Maisy Smith and Erin Thickett in tricky conditions at Verwood Town FC. 

The Cherries dominated the ball from the start, with Katie Kingshott testing the visiting 'keeper from 20 yards with a fierce shot early on. 

Emma Davies then combined well with Rosie Eden on the wing, but Oxford were able to hook away the danger on two occasions. 

However, the deadlock was broken with 12 minutes gone, as Hannah Bennett's free-kick from the right was met by the head of Anderson, who found the target from six yards. 

The striker almost doubled her tally moments later, seeing her header rebound off the post before the Oxford 'keeper reacted quickest to claim the loose ball. 

Chances came and went, with Becky Miles narrowly shooting wide to close out the half. 

As the second period begun, Steve Cuss' side continued to play around nicely with the ball, some good combinations in midfield leading to more shooting opportunities. 

The women were made to wait until the 76th minute for another to be added, this time Jones cut in from the left to fire a shot from outside the box well beyond the Oxford 'keeper in what was her second goal in as many weeks. 

Substitute Thickett then got in on the act after reacting first to a loose goal-kick. She beat her defender, took a touch and fired across the 'keeper into the bottom left-hand corner. 

With the Cherries rampant, Harvey soon netted her first of the afternoon with nine minutes to go, as Thickett's shot was blocked and fell into her path, the midfielder making no mistake from close range. 

Her second and her side's fifth came just two minutes later, taking down Davis' ball in the box before emphatically finding the corner. 

A superb performance was rounded off with just seconds remaining, as Smith got on the end of a corner from Kingshott and headed into the middle of the goal, leaving the Oxford 'keeper stranded. 

Cuss' side will now host Moneyfields in the semi-final, with the game to take place on Sunday 1st March at Verwood Town FC. 

Breaking News