icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

Sign In

Register using your Facebook, Gmail or Twitter account.
Sign in
Forgotten your password?

AFC Bournemouth vs Moneyfields Ladies at Stadion.Core.ViewModels.Matchday.LocationViewModel


AFC Bournemouth


Moneyfields Ladies

FT 5th January 2020 2:00 PM
Verwood Town FC
Sponsored by

Women suffer Moneyfields defeat

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth


AFC Bournemouth Women suffered their first defeat of the season at the hands of Moneyfields.

Kimberly Whitcombe bagged a brace for the visitors at Verwood, while Carla Nicholson also got on the scoresheet to give the Portsmouth-based team a 3-0 victory.

The game started off evenly, with the Cherries almost being awarded a penalty in the early stages.

After Rebecca Miles was brought down on the right-hand side of the box, the referee pointed straight to the spot, however the flag was raised by the linesman for offside in the build-up and Moneyfields were given the free-kick.

With both sides exchanging possession, it was to be the visitors who broke the deadlock.

They were awarded a free kick on the far left and Whitcombe stood over it. She sent in a deep ball into the box and it evaded everyone, ending up in the corner without a touch.

Moments later, Steve Cuss’ side nearly had the equaliser. Miles got in space down the right and sent in a great low ball across the face of goal, yet Rosie Eden couldn’t quite get the touch it needed at the back post despite sliding in.

After the break, the Cherries continued to apply the pressure and Hannah Bennett was next to try her luck.

She found herself in space in the box, beat her player and pulled the trigger from close range, being denied only by the post, Moneyfields ‘keeper Sally-Ann Thompson smothering the rebound.

Despite a tireless work-rate, the visitors took their chance when it came.

A break-away up the other end saw the ball squared to Nicholson 25-yards out, the central midfielder striking it first-time straight into the top corner and giving Steph Small no chance in goal.

As the clock continued to tick away, the hosts kept pushing for that all-important route back into the game.

First, Miles fired just wide from open play, before the ball fell to substitute Erin Thickett from a corner, the winger’s shot sailing over the bar.

In the dying stages, Moneyfields wrapped up all three points as Whitcombe bagged her second of the afternoon.

The winger was played in by Nicole Matthews and worked herself into a shooting position, curling the effort into the top corner to seal the win.

Breaking News