icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

Southampton U21s vs AFC Bournemouth U21s at Stadion.Core.ViewModels.Matchday.LocationViewModel


Southampton U21s

, Bellis 54 , Defise 58

AFC Bournemouth U21s

FT 27th October 2020 11:00 AM

U21s' winning run ended at Saints

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth


The under-21s' streak of five straight wins was brought to a close at Southampton in a 2-0 friendly defeat at Staplewood on Tuesday.

The Cherries had enjoyed much the better of the first half, but were made to pay for their profligacy in front of goal when they were hit by a quick-fire double after the break that ultimately proved the difference.

Sam Bellis and Lucas Defise netted for Southampton before the hour as the hosts wrestled control of the match.

Dinesh Gillela hit the bar and Jaidon Anthony struck the post for Bournemouth as the visitors looked for a route back into the game, but they were eventually beaten in the friendly. 

In the swirling rain Nnamdi Ofoborh played a role inside three minutes, driving forwards and slipping through to George Hunt, whose shot was smothered by 'keeper Kingsley Latham.

Striker Enzo Robise slashed across goal and wide with the home side's initial opening, Hunt soon teeing Christian Saydee up at the other end, though the Cherries striker's shot was too close to the 'keeper and blocked.

A mazy Ryan Glover run saw the winger weave through men, get to the byline and somehow manage to play square, however Anthony's shot lacked conviction and was dived onto by Latham.

The Bournemouth press effective again, Glover himself pounced on a loose ball in the 30th minute, firing low and across goal, but the Cherries were denied by Latham once more.

While it was the visitors imposing themselves on the game, Robise broke and fired off target again, the game still goalless into the closing stages of the opening period.

Anthony struck a 22-yard shot over for the Cherries, before the surging Glover met a low cross only for Latham to save well to end the half.

Into the second period and Nathan Moriah-Welsh replaced Hunt, the latter continuing his rehabilitation after a long stretch out injured on the sidelines.

The rain was hardly abating at Saints' training base and the shots continued to rain in from the visitors, Anthony having an effort blocked as he looked to curl into the far corner.

However, against the run of play it was instead the hosts who took the lead when substitute Bellis beat Will Dennis with an effort from inside the box.

Southampton were improved and soon had a second when Defise pounced, the scoreline not entirely reflective of the play.

Defender Gillela almost got the away scoring up and running just past the hour, rising to head a Gavin Kilkenny cross onto the underside of the crossbar, the defence then able to clear.

Bournemouth had a penalty shout waved away when Jordan Zemura was sent sprawling in the box, next Moriah-Welsh playing a role in some good build-up play but then mis-kicking his shot as the away attacking frustrations continued.

In the final minute the frustrations were completed when Anthony wriggled free in  the box, got a shot away but saw his effort rebound off the far post, the last chance as the Cherries were unable to register in their away defeat.

Breaking News