icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

Sign In

Register using your Facebook, Gmail or Twitter account.
Sign in
Forgotten your password?

Southampton Under 23s vs AFC Bournemouth U21s at Stadion.Core.ViewModels.Matchday.LocationViewModel


Southampton Under 23s


AFC Bournemouth U21s

, Dobre 23 , Scrimshaw 79
FT 2nd December 2019 7:00 PM
Testwood Stadium

Strong U21s see off Saints

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth


Goals either side of half time earned AFC Bournemouth an impressive 2-0 win at Southampton in the Premier League Cup, the Cherries maintaining their unbeaten start in the competition.

Alex Dobre's goal gave the Cherries a lead, the Romanian striking home powerfully with a clean low strike 23 minutes in, before Jaidon Anthony saw a penalty saved in a strong first half showing which could have resulted in a lengthier away lead.

Jake Scrimshaw netted the visitors' second into the closing stages with a characteristically composed finish, and while Saints improved the visitors held them at arm's length at AFC Totton and moved onto seven points and a place at the top of the four-team table after three games in the group stage of the competition.

Anthony went close with an angled early free-kick, his effort just wide of the near post, while Mark Travers got behind a Southampton shot, saving strongly in an open start to the match.

Both 'keepers were being forced to hold their own, before midway through the half Dobre struck to score once again in this season's Premier League Cup.

The Romanian has scored in every group stage match so far, and rifled home a crisp low strike from the edge of the area, giving Southampton's Jack Bycroft no chance.

After a Corey Jordan slip Travers was called upon again to make a terrific save from Harry Hamblin, and before the half-hour mark the Cherries had a golden opportunity for a second.

Following an infringement in the box, Anthony stepped up from 12 yards, but his penalty was saved down low by Bycroft.

Dobre had further glory in his nostrils, striking a beautiful swirling effort but seeing it rebound back off the post, millimetres away from a stunning goal.

Anthony scuffed a shot that Bycroft saved after a deflection, the away side held their one-goal lead into the break.

Following the restart, Zeno Ibsen Rossi was just unable to get his head to a threatening ball into the box while Jake Scrimshaw was flagged offside amidst a scramble in the Southampton area.

After a quiet opening start to the second half, Saints began to find their stride and Lucas Defise had a low shot that was comfortably gathered by Travers.

Defender Dinesh Gillela required some treatment after slumping to the turf, the break in play allowing the Cherries to regroup and re-find a measure of comfort in proceedings, Anthony then again forcing Bycroft into action with a low shot that was too central.

The Southampton pressure was soon stopped in its tracks, however, as Bournemouth doubled their lead with just over ten minutes remaining.

After defending patiently, the Cherries picked their opportunity, Anthony threading a neat pass to Scrimshaw near the penalty spot, with the striker turning swiftly and burying home a powered low shot. 

Kornelius Hansen and then Hamblin had two quickfire chances, the Bournemouth defenders back in numbers to repel the efforts, moving into the four minutes of added time on a chilly night in Hampshire.

Shaun Cooper's side remained resolute to the end, retaining their clean sheet and claiming a strong three-point road reward at the final whistle.

Breaking News