icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

Sign In

Register using your Facebook, Gmail or Twitter account.
Sign in
Forgotten your password?

Last-minute winner sees U21s progress

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth


AFC Bournemouth are through to the next round of the Hampshire Senior Cup after a 3-2 win over Farnborough. 

A last-minute goal from Harvey Bertrand saw the under-21s progress, after Jake Scrimshaw and Tyrell Hamilton had previously fired home for the Cherries. 

Shaun Cooper fielded a young side at the Easy As HGV Stadium, as five under-18s featured in foggy conditions. 

Scrimshaw fired the visitors into the lead at the beginning of the second half, before Farnborough stuck back through Connor Curren a little over ten minutes later. 

The hosts continued to apply pressure and it paid off as Reggie Young gave his side the lead on 84 minutes. 

A dramatic last ten saw Hamilton give the Cherries a lifeline and it was one they took advantage of in the dying stages. 

The scorer then turned provider, as Hamilton's cross was met by the head of Bertrand, who made no mistake and powered his header beyond the Farnborough 'keeper.  

The Cherries started strongly and it was under-18s winger Luke Pardoe who had the first opportunity, forcing a good save out of Liam Beach from Hamilton's cross. 

Jordan Zemura and Pardoe then put in two good balls into the box, but the danger was averted thanks to some good defending by Sean Francis. 

Up the other end of the pitch, Farnborough threatened through Cullen, whose powerful shot from range was claimed well by Will Dennis. 

The Cherries 'keeper was called into action again with a little over 20 minutes gone, this time denying midfielder Bryan Akongo. 

Cooper's side were soon on the ascendance again, this time thanks to winger Alex Dobre, who drove a low shot a Beach that had to be parried away. 

Moments later, Zemura almost gave the visitors the lead after a darting run from the left saw him cut in and shoot from five-yards, Beach again equal to the full-back's effort. 

AFC Bournemouth were almost made to pay for their missed chances, as Ben Greenwood blocked superbly from Bradley Keetch, before Dennis rose highest to smother a deep ball in from the corner. 

Yet, with just 60 seconds gone following the restart, Cooper's side took the lead. 

Gavin Kilkenny got a counter-attack started following a Farnborough corner, playing it through to Zemura, who had made a forward run. The defender took a touch, looked up and slid in Scrimshaw, with the 19-year-old making no mistake in finding the bottom corner. 

Yet, the Cherries were pegged back on the hour mark and couldn't stop Cullen from converting from two yards out. The forward reacted quickest after Young's shot from outside the area thumped off the crossbar and dropped into his path. 

The hosts almost doubled their tally minutes after, as some brilliant individual play from John Oyenuga saw him create a shooting opportunity after beating his man out wide. Dennis, however, stood firm. 

Greenwood then made his second brilliant block of the evening, this time preventing centre-back Francis, who had surged forward from defence. 

In an end-to-end affair, it was Pardoe who had the Cherries' next opening, as a corner was taken quickly and he found space on the right to test Beach, but the danger was averted after a good save and the ball was soon cleared. 

Nevertheless, with the clock ticking down, Farnborough thought they'd won it with five minutes to go. Some good work down the right saw the ball cut-back on the by-line, with Young there to convert from the penalty spot. 

Cooper's side refused to give up though, and had drawn back level moments later. Hamilton diverted a loose ball in the area beyond Beach, as the hosts had scrapped to clear. 

Scrimshaw then had a wonderful opportunity to grab his second of the evening in added time, but his low shot trickled off the post after Beach had come rushing out of his goal. 

With it looking like penalties were looming, the Cherries' persistence paid off. Scrimshaw took the corner short to Hamilton, who put in a fine cross, and Bertrand was there to thump a header home and win it at the Easy As HGV Stadium. 

Breaking News