icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

Sign In

Register using your Facebook, Gmail or Twitter account.
Sign in
Forgotten your password?

Duo return as Cherries hit eight in cup

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth

Gary Parsons

Skipper Simon Francis and summer signing Lloyd Kelly stepped up their respective returns from injury in AFC Bournemouth’s Hampshire Senior Cup second-round win over Basingstoke tonight.

Francis and Kelly played the first 62 minutes in front of boss Eddie Howe who was among the crowd at Vitality Stadium together with a host of first-team players.

It was Francis’s first taste of action for more than nine months, while Kelly, who netted the Cherries’ seventh goal, returned following a seven-week layoff.

Gavin Kilkenny played a starring role as the Cherries booked a place in the third round, the midfielder netting a superb hat-trick – including a magnificent 40-yard lob.

All three of his goals came from outside the 18-yard box, while Jaidon Anthony got in on the act by bagging a double with two sublime finishes.

The Cherries saw plenty of the ball in the opening stages with Francis and Kelly having their fair share of touches.

It took the hosts just eight minutes to make the breakthrough when Kilkenny’s arrow-like strike from 25 yards found the bottom corner of the net.

Basingstoke’s first shooting chance fell to skipper Dean Stow whose rasping drive was saved by Cherries goalkeeper Will Dennis.

Albert White, signed on loan from AFC Wimbledon on the eve of the contest, blocked Tyrell Hamilton’s effort before Kelly’s low drive flashed past the post.

White raced off his line to beat Jake Scrimshaw to a through ball while Alex Dobre’s shot was charged down by a defender.

A superb crossfield pass from Adam Everiss put Zach Robinson in the clear but the AFC Wimbledon loan striker was denied by a fine save from Dennis.

Kilkenny doubled the Cherries’ lead in stunning fashion in the 29th minute, the Dubliner finding the back of the net with a sublime lob from around 40 yards.

The midfielder was instrumental in the build up to the goal, winning possession in the middle of the park before spotting White only yards off his line and lifting the ball over him from distance.  

White saved well from Dobre after Kelly’s cross had eventually fallen for him before Dennis pouched an effort from Harrison Cliff as the visitors looked to halve the arrears.

However, it was the Cherries who scored next with Scrimshaw rifling home from close range after his initial shot had rattled the upright six minutes before half-time.

The Cherries extended their lead two minutes into the second half with Kelly providing the assist for Scrimshaw to add his second and their fourth.

Kelly traded passes with Anthony on the left flank before crossing to the near post where Scrimshaw slid in and turned the ball past White.

Hamilton then fizzed an effort over the crossbar before another finely-taken goal from Anthony made it 5-0 in the 51st minute.

The striker picked his spot from a tight angle, giving White no chance with a superb right-footed finish which he majestically clipped into the top corner.

Kilkenny completed his hat-trick with a low drive on 55 minutes, the midfielder beating White from the edge of the box.

And as the floodgates opened, Kelly plundered the Cherries’ fourth goal in the space of 10 minutes when his composed finish found the bottom corner of White’s net.

Kelly and Francis made way for Ryan Glover and Jordan Zemura after 62 minutes, the pair leaving the pitch to warm applause from an appreciative home crowd.

Scrimshaw was denied his hat-trick by a fine save from White 10 minutes from time, the young goalkeeper turning the striker's venomous shot around the post.

However, White was again caught off his line when Anthony chipped him from 30 yards to complete the scoring two minutes from time.

Breaking News