icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

U21s reach Hampshire Senior Cup semis

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth


AFC Bournemouth under-21s were 4-0 winners against Sholing in the Hampshire Senior Cup and have booked their place in the semi-finals.

Jaidon Anthony hit a brace, while there were also goals for Alex Dobre and Jordon Ibe.

Shaun Cooper made three changes from the side that won 3-0 against Nottingham Forest in the Premier League Cup on Friday, with Zeno Ibsen Rossi, Sam Sherring and Ibe coming in.

Kyle Taylor and Tyler Cordner were both ineligible for the game, having played senior football on loan already this season. Lloyd Kelly was also absent after featuring at Alfreton Town, having been on the bench for the first team yesterday.

The game started with Sholing looking to attack and it was the hosts who had the first chance of the game with 60 seconds on the clock. Corey Jordan blocked superbly from Dan Mason to keep it level.

Just moments later and the Cherries had the lead. A quick break saw Dobre emerge with the ball, beat his man and round the ‘keeper, before unselfishly squaring for Anthony to finish first-time into the empty net.

Sholing almost had the perfect response after Brad Targett surged forward and thumped a shot from 20 yards against the post, but Cooper’s side reacted to clear.

After several exchanges of possession, it was the Cherries who pounced next and doubled their lead. Gavin Kilkenny fed through Ibe down the left, with the winger then crossing for Dobre, who made no mistake and beat Ryan Gosney from close range.

Again, the hosts looked for a quick reaction and came close through Mason once more, but his drive from distance sailed just over Will Dennis’ bar.

Up the other end, Matt Butcher tried his luck from a similar position but Gosney collected the deflected effort with ease.

Following the break, it was the visitors who started on the front foot and it took just two minutes for goal number three. Jordan Zemura was tripped in the box and the referee pointed straight to the spot, Ibe doing the rest and sending the ‘keeper the wrong way.

The pressure continued and the Cherries were almost gifted a fourth as Jamie Bulpitt nearly converted into his own net, but Gosney recovered to hook away.

Zemura was next to pull the trigger after he tip-toed through the Sholing back-line, with his effort only denied by a superb goalline clearance from Targett.

On the hour mark, Cooper’s side were rewarded for their persistence. In very similar fashion to the opener, Dobre found Anthony in acres of space on the penalty spot and the striker converted for his second of the evening.

As the hosts looked to pull one back, their best opportunity was another from range as Jake Hoole struck his shot inches over Dennis’ bar.

Targett then had a similar idea, but also a similar outcome and the Cherries defence weren’t fazed.

With the clock ticking away, substitute Keelan O’Connell nearly marked his return from injury with a goal, but saw his effort blocked well Owen Royl in what was the last action of the game.

The Cherries will now wait to find out their semi-final opponents later in the week.

Breaking News