icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon
Sign in
Forgotten your password?

Wigan Athletic vs AFC Bournemouth at Robin Park Arena


Wigan Athletic

, James Barragan 10

AFC Bournemouth

, Ollie Harfield 48 , Connor Mahoney 52 , Own goal 61
12th September 2017 1:00 PM 12th September 2017 1:00 PM
Robin Park Arena

U21s qualify for Premier League Cup

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth


Ollie Harfield, Connor Mahoney and an own goal sealed qualification to the group stages against Wigan Athletic.

The Cherries fell behind early on thanks to an early James Barragan strike, but Carl Fletcher's men upped their game in the second-half with a trio of strikes, first from Ollie Harfield before Connor Mahoney and an own goal sealed qualification to the group stages.

The home side took the lead after just ten minutes, when Barragan struck Victor Maffeo's cross into the net.

Aaron Ramsdale in the Cherries' goal made a fantastic save to keep it at 1-0 shortly after, when he tipped Josh Gregory's long-range effort over the bar.

But the second-half saw Fletcher's men come out of the traps and secure an equaliser just shy of the 48-minute mark, when after Mikael Ndjoli rattled the woodwork, Harfield reacted to net from close range.

Four minutes later, the Cherries had turned it around, when Mahoney latched onto cross from the left and hit a superb volley beyond goalkeeper Owen Evans into the top corner.

The third came just after the hour mark with more good work from Mahoney, who hit a dangerous cross which was diverted in by a Latics defender to give the Cherries a two-goal cushion.

Keelan O’Connell almost added a further strike with a low drive, but for a good save by Evans in the hosts’ goal.

The result means the Cherries are one of 32 teams who are now into the group stage of the competition.

Breaking News