icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

AFC Bournemouth U18s vs Newport County U18s at Stadion.Core.ViewModels.Matchday.LocationViewModel


AFC Bournemouth U18s

, Johnson 19 , Adu-Adjei 43

Newport County U18s

, Stokes 48
FT 28th August 2021 12:00 PM
Canford Arena
Stats Sponsored by Strategic Solutions

U18s grab slender win over Exiles

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth


The under-18s beat Newport County 2-1 on Saturday, a narrow winning margin that would have been wider but for untaken opportunities.

In the 19th minute Baylin Johnson gave the Cherries the lead after a strong forward move, Adu-Adjei making it two with a header just before the break.

Newport then pulled one back almost immediately after the restart through Tom Stokes.

Chances came and went for the hosts but they were left to sweat when Newport hit the post late on, eventually claiming the points despite a frantic finale.

In the sunshine at Canford Arena Ferdinand Okoh had two early shots as the Cherries made the running. His first was blocked by team-mate Johnson while the second flew wide of the post.

Harrison Bright volleyed over for the Exiles before Ben Winterburn headed straight to the goalkeeper from a corner at the other end.

The hosts led after a brilliant forward move, Winterburn getting to the byline after some sharp passing, pulling the ball back for Johnson to smash home.

A chance came for Adu-Adjei, the ball rolling just past the upright. Okoh almost profited from Michael Dacosta Gonzalez’s forward surge, his effort too high and passing over the bar.

A Cherries corner dropped but not quickly enough for Winterburn who snatched at a shot which deflected over for another corner.

Still pushing, Dacosta Gonzalez ran at his defender, cut inside but pulled his shot just wide.

The winger was then in the thick of things again, dribbling down the left and standing up a good cross that Adu-Adjei headed down and in to double the scoreline.

The second half began and within minutes the visitors pulled back to within a goal, Stokes bending home a fine goal to make it 2-1.

Adu-Adjei forced ‘keeper Evan Ovendale into a brilliant save, while from successive corners Owen Bevan went close to restoring the two-goal advantage with a pair of dangerous headers.

Another swift attacking move set Okoh through into space, the midfielder’s low shot saved well by Ovendale’s leg.

Gonzalez Dacosta drove an angled shot over, Bevan soon going close for a third time with a downward header that needed saving.

Some more fluid play saw Adu-Adjei feed for Dacosta Gonzalez, but he couldn’t keep his shot down.

The slenderness of the lead was then starkly illustrated when Stokes hit the inside of the post, but the ball rebounded to Clarke who gratefully gathered.

Substitute Maxwell Kinsey-Wellings saw a header go just wide in the closing stages, the Newport ‘keeper going up for a late corner but to no avail as the Cherries confirmed their win.

Breaking News