icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

Derby hit back to defeat the Cherries

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth

Gavin Ward

Wayne Rooney won the battle of the former England team-mates as Tom Lawrence’s second-half double helped Derby County triumph 3-2 against Scott Parker’s AFC Bournemouth.

A topsy-turvy affair at Pride Park Stadium was settled in favour of Rooney’s Rams by Lawrence’s 69th-minute penalty as the Cherries suffered just a second defeat in the Championship.

Jason Knight brought an end to the Cherries’ proud run of seven successive away clean sheets in the league when he headed Derby in front in the 13th minute.

The Republic of Ireland international nodded Max Bird’s corner past Mark Travers, the first goal conceded on the road by the Cherries in the Championship for 11 hours and 25 minutes.

However, Jaidon Anthony’s fifth goal of the season, a finely-executed effort after Derby had paid the ultimate penalty for trying to play out from the back, restored parity just six minutes later.

And a superb team move, which started in the Cherries’ 18-yard box, ended with Dominic Solanke giving Parker’s team the lead seven minutes before half-time.

But after Lawrence had levelled with a finely-taken effort in the 62nd minute, the Derby skipper sealed the points from the spot seven minutes later.

Lewis Cook made a welcome return to the Cherries starting line-up as head coach Parker made two changes following the 4-0 win over Swansea before the international break.

The midfielder, who made his comeback off the bench against the Swans, suffered a serious knee injury at Preston in March, with 260 days between his starts.

Chris Mepham, fresh from helping Wales secure a home draw in the World Cup qualifying play-offs, was drafted in for skipper Lloyd Kelly who was ruled out due to injury.

Leif Davis made an important interception to prevent Knight’s low cross from reaching Sam Baldock, the Cherries defender taking a blow to the head in the process.

Davis was again in the right place at the right time to block Knight’s shot after the Derby midfielder had taken aim from just inside the 18-yard box.

However, the visitors went behind in the 13th minute when Knight arrived unchallenged to head home Max Bird’s inswinging corner.

It was the first goal the Cherries had conceded in an away league game since August, their proud run of seven successive clean sheets coming to an end.

But Derby’s lead was short lived, the hosts architects of their own downfall as a risky bid to play out from the back from a goal kick backfired.

Curtis Davies laid the ball into the path of Kelle Roos who allowed it to run away from him, with Dominic Solanke seizing possession and passing to Ryan Christie.

And after creating space by turning inside and trying his luck with a left-footed shot, Christie saw his effort cleared off the line by Davies.

But after the ball had found its way to Anthony, he showed great skill by swivelling and then squeezing it inside the near post to make it 1-1.

Solanke went close to giving the Cherries the lead, the striker just failing to make contact with Davis’s driven cross at the near post following good build-up play involving Christie and Anthony.

Bird’s free-kick in the 31st minute almost created a chance for Davies but the ball bounced off the defender’s shin and was safely gathered by Travers.

The Cherries forged ahead with a brilliantly-crafted goal, Solanke finishing a sweeping move from one end of the pitch to the other.

Worked fluently from the back to Davis, his driving run took him into enemy territory before he slipped a pass to Jefferson Lerma.

And after Lerma had set Solanke free, the striker drew Roos before coolly clipping the ball past the goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

Lerma went close to adding a third, the Colombia international nodding narrowly past the post after Phil Billing had climbed at the far post to head Anthony’s free-kick back into the danger zone.

As an entertaining opening 45 minutes drew to a close, Graeme Shinnie volleyed just over the crossbar following a knockdown from Tom Lawrence.

At the start of the second half, Jack Stacey over-hit a cross when Solanke was well placed before Billing picked up his fifth booking of the season for kicking the ball away.

Billing’s surging run from deep inside his own half promised much but eventually came to nothing after his intended pass to Christie was cut out by a defender.

Gavin Kilkenny replaced Cook in the 61st minute before Rams skipper Lawrence equalised for Derby with a sublime strike just seconds later.

The Wales international showed his class when he curled an unstoppable shot through a crowd of players and past Travers from a tight angle.

And Lawrence gave the hosts the lead from the penalty spot after Stacey had been judged to have brought down Shinnie just seven minutes later.

Lawrence stepped up from 12 yards to emphatically beat Travers who dived to his right as the Derby man drilled his spot-kick straight down the middle.

Although replays suggested Derby left-back Lee Buchanan may have strayed offside in the build-up to the penalty, referee Gavin Ward was unmoved.

Cherries head coach Parker reacted immediately by making a double substitution with Morgan Rogers and Jamal Lowe replacing Davis and Lerma 16 minutes from time.

Some neat footwork from Lawrence set up a chance for Colin Kazim-Richards but the Derby substitute headed wide when centrally placed.

Solanke, teed up by Anthony’s cross, spun marker Davies before rifling a stinging effort just wide of the upright.

Lawrence tried to catch Travers off his line by shooting from distance, his speculative shot sailing over the crossbar.

Billing arrived at the far post to meet Anthony’s cross with a firm header, only to see his effort go the wrong side of the upright before Christie headed over the crossbar in the dying seconds.

Deep in added time, Kilkenny's effort from the edge of the box was saved by Roos.

Derby County: Roos, Thompson, Jagielka, Davies, Buchanan (Forsyth, 90), Bird, Shinnie, Ebosele (Stearman, 83), Lawrence, Knight, Baldock (Kazim-Richards, 22).

Unused subs: Morrison, Jozwiak, Kellyman, Allsop (g/k).

AFC Bournemouth: Travers, Stacey, Mepham, Cahill, Davis (Lowe, 74), Lerma (Rogers, 74), L Cook (Kilkenny, 61), Billing, Christie, Solanke, Anthony.

Unused subs: S Cook, Marcondes, Moriah-Welsh, Nyland (g/k).

Booked: Billing.

Referee: Gavin Ward.

Attendance: 20,764 (inc 1,363 away supporters).

Play video

2021/22 highlights

Extended | Derby County 3-2 AFC Bournemouth

Manchester City Etihad Stadium

Premier League

13th August 2022 3:00 PM

Breaking News