icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

The Wood stun the Cherries in FA Cup

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth

Graham Scott

Boreham Wood captain Mark Ricketts bagged the only goal of the game as the National League high-fliers sent AFC Bournemouth crashing out of the FA Cup.

Ricketts sent the Wood’s 1,200-strong following into raptures when he netted in the 38th minute, earning them a trip to Premier League Everton in the fifth round.

An improved second-half showing from Scott Parker’s team failed to yield an equaliser as the Hertfordshire club extended their best run in the competition.

Freddie Woodman, Nat Phillips and James Hill were all handed their full debuts after joining the Cherries in the mid-season transfer window.

Fellow new recruit Todd Cantwell was named among the Cherries substitutes, while Lewis Cook was handed the captain's armband.


The hosts survived an early scare when Woodman’s intended pass to Gavin Kilkenny was intercepted by Josh Rees, the ball running away from him and into the grateful arms of the Cherries goalkeeper.

Kane Smith’s driving run down the flank resulted in Tyrone Marsh meeting his cross at the near post with Hill well placed to block the striker's effort.

And after the ball had rolled in the direction of Rees, he went to ground under a challenge from Phillips with referee Graham Scott waving away the Wood claims for a penalty.

Phillips required a lengthy spell of treatment following a clash with Rees, the defender continuing with a bandage around his head.

Jamal Lowe looked to charge down a clearance from the Wood goalkeeper Taye Ashby-Hammond, the ball rolling out for a goal kick.

The visitors drew first blood in the 38th minute when captain Ricketts squeezed a right-footed shot past Woodman which cannoned in off the post.


His effort from the edge of the 18-yard box came about after Jacob Mendy’s cross to the near post had found Kilkenny whose clearance went straight to Ricketts.

The Cherries’ first noteworthy effort came on the stroke of half-time when a corner was worked to Cook whose shot from distance flew over the crossbar.

Cook and Ben Pearson were replaced by Cantwell and Ryan Christie as head coach Parker made two changes for the second half.

Just seconds after the break, Jaidon Anthony fashioned an opening for Lowe but the Wood defender Dave Stephens prevented the striker from getting his shot away.

Woodman had to be on his toes to parry a swirling cross from Ricketts before Scott Boden’s effort struck Phillips and was safely gathered by the Cherries goalkeeper.

Christie’s piledriver deflected off Will Evans and went for a corner before Phillips’s glancing header from the Scotsman’s cross bounced the wrong side of the upright.


Christie’s free-kick was punched away by Ashby-Hammond before the Scotland international’s ferocious drive was charged down by Mendy.

Christie’s sublime pass put Billing in the clear, the midfielder lifting his effort over Ashby-Hammond but also over the crossbar.

The Cherries thought they had equalised when Anthony put the ball in the back of the net in the 78th minute but the effort was ruled out for offside against Billing.

Seconds earlier, Ashby-Hammond had pulled off a top-drawer save to push Christie’s rasping drive on to the woodwork with Billing straying offside after following up.

In the closing stages, Dominic Solanke headed narrowly wide before Anthony's long-range strike flew over the crossbar.

And Solanke saw an effort flash past the upright deep in added time.

AFC Bournemouth: Woodman, Moriah-Welsh (Stacey, 65), Hill (Solanke, 76), Phillips, Davis, Kilkenny, Cook (Christie, h/t), Pearson (Cantwell, h/t), Marcondes (Billing, 65), Lowe, Anthony.  

Unused subs: Mepham, Kelly, Zemura, Travers (g/k).

Booked: Phillips.

Boreham Wood: Ashby-Hammond, Evans, Stephens, Stevens, K Smith, Ricketts (Comley, 87), Raymond, Mendy, Rees, Boden (Ranger, 90), Marsh (Clifton, 84).

Booked: Stephens, Marsh, Ashby-Hammond.

Unused subs: C Smith, Roach (g/k).

Referee: Graham Scott.

Play video

2021/22 highlights

Highlights: Defeat to Boreham Wood in FA Cup

Arsenal Vitality Stadium

Premier League

20th August 2022 5:30 PM

Breaking News