icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

Sign In

Register using your Facebook, Gmail or Twitter account.
Sign in
Forgotten your password?

Toon comeback thwarts Cherries

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth

Martin Atkinson

AFC Bournemouth took the lead at St James' Park but were undone by goals either side of the half-time break as they went down 2-1 to Newcastle United.

Harry Wilson got the visitors off to a flying start as he profited from a corner manoeuvre and flashed home calmly in the area, Diego Rico hitting the crossbar as the visitors looked to add to their advantage.

Allan Saint-Maximin likewise struck the woodwork before DeAndre Yedlin leveled matters up with a header before half time.

Six minutes into the second period and Ciaran Clark pounced to bundle home and give United their first lead of the afternoon. Late pressure came from the away side but an equaliser couldn't be found to reward the travelling away support on their longest away trip of the season. 

There was one enforced change for the Cherries, Jefferson Lerma's accumulation of bookings meaning he stepped aside with Lewis Cook returning to the starting 11 on Tyneside.

In chilly but still conditions, and after a minute's silence ahead of Remembrance Sunday, the match got under way, the visitors in their sharp green third shirts and making an early break when Harry Wilson sent namesake Callum Wilson through into space, though the striker was bustled out as he closed in on goal. 

Another swift Bournemouth move ended with Ryan Fraser firing half a yard over, the Scot going close again on nine minutes as he was almost on hand to tuck away once Joshua King had scampered to the byline and cutback.

Jetro Willems gave Aaron Ramsdale his first save to make, the 'keeper down quickly to palm away the low effort angled in from just inside the box.

The away side were controlling possession and the tempo of the game, Callum Wilson heading onto the roof of the net with the aid of a deflection, and from the set piece the Cherries had the lead.

A well-rehearsed corner-kick routine saw Fraser pass short for King, receive back directly and then fizz in a low ball with Harry Wilson waiting and finishing confidently from ten yards for his fourth Premier League goal.

Just after the restart it was nearly a second when Rico's powered cross-shot from the the apex needed to be diverted onto the bar by Martin Dubravka, Newcastle forced then into a change in the 20th minute when skipper Jamaal Lascelles retired hurt and was replaced by Clark.

Jonjo Shelvey struck over from 22 yards, Joelinton next shooting from similar range but watching his effort deflecting kindly for Ramsdale to get behind.

Into the final ten minutes of the half and the Toon Army defence was being stretched again, Fraser onto a ball over the top, getting there before Dubravka but with the ball refusing to come sit up nicely his shot was hacked off the line by a recovering defender.

It wasn't plain sailing ahead of the break, however, Steve Cook getting caught out, Saint-Maximin clean through but only hitting the crossbar from close range, Ramsdale making himself as big as possible.

The Bournemouth 'keeper was busy again as he parried away from Willems' shot from the edge of the box, and before the interval the hosts pulled themselves level.

Willems was in the thick of the action again, this time bending in a great cross that full-back Yedlin ran onto and buried a header home from close in.

Into the second period and the home fans were soon cheering a second goal when on 52 minutes a cross bounced around the area before falling for Clark who smartly scrambled the ball home before Ramsdale could intervene.

The wind was in home sails and Ramsdale needed to come out and save well as Joelinton attempted to lob him from the edge of the area, the Cherries rallying but not finding the target through Philip Billing whose shot was well over from Fraser's pass.

Heading into the final quarter and Eddie Howe made a double switch with Simon Francis and Dominic Solanke into the fray for Rico and Harry Wilson, the formation switching to back three with Adam Smith and Ryan Fraser as respective right and left wingbacks.

The chase for an equaliser was speeding up, the away side delivering a number of crosses into the box but Newcastle standing firm, Arnaut Danjuma introduced with the Cherries' final switch replacing Smith.

United looked set for a third to confirm the three points when Saint-Maximin skipped into the box, forcing a fine save from Ramsdale, the ball falling perfectly for Miguel Almiron. With a near-open goal and a first strike in English football on his mind, he shot only at Saint-Maximin lain on the turf, the ball spinning up and over the bar.

Into the closing stages and a cross dropped to Francis eight yards from goal, the defender looking odds-on to open his Premier League account until his shot was blocked away.

Into added time and a flicked on corner looked to be falling kindly for King steaming in at the back post, the Norwegian not able to beat the tight angle as the game ending moments later in defeat for the Cherries.

Leicester City Vitality Stadium

Premier League

12th July 2020 7:00 PM

Breaking News