icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

Sign In

Register using your Facebook, Gmail or Twitter account.
Sign in
Forgotten your password?

Callum at the double as Cherries sink Toffees

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth

Paul Tierney

Callum Wilson’s double helped AFC Bournemouth register their first home Premier League win of the season and maintained their unbeaten record against Everton at Vitality Stadium.

The striker netted in either half, his efforts sandwiching a goal from Ryan Fraser which restored the Cherries’ lead after Dominic Calvert-Lewin had levelled on the stroke of half-time.  

Eddie Howe’s team drew first blood when Callum Wilson netted for the second game in succession in the 23rd minute.

He nodded home from close range after Dominic Solanke had flicked on Diego Rico’s corner and Joshua King had hooked the ball back into the mixer at the far post.

However, Calvert-Lewin equalised on the stroke of half-time when he rose highest to head home a teasing cross from Richarlison.

An inspired second-half showing from the Cherries was topped off by goals from Fraser and Callum Wilson in the space of five minutes.

Firstly, substitute Fraser saw his free-kick deceive England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford and then Callum Wilson’s sublime finish made it 3-1. 

Lewis Cook made a welcome return to the Cherries starting line-up following nine months on the sidelines.

The midfielder, who ruptured the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee against Huddersfield in December, was one of four changes.

Summer signing Jack Stacey was drafted in for his Premier League debut, while Solanke and Rico also started.

At 24 years and 195 days, the average age of the Cherries starting line-up was the youngest in the club’s Premier League era.

Everton made two changes following their 3-2 home win against Wolves before the international break, bringing in Calvert-Lewin and Morgan Schneiderlin.

Stacey diverted Alex Iwobi’s early shot for a corner with Nathan Ake climbing well to head clear Lucas Digne’s delivery.

Aaron Ramsdale was forced to push Gylfi Sigurdsson’s cross-shot over the bar before Cook was at the heart of the Cherries’ first chance in the seventh minute.

His delightful pass to King was eventually worked to Phil Billing whose effort from 20 yards flashed past the upright.

Jordan Pickford saved comfortably after Harry Wilson had taken aim with a free-kick from 30 yards, the England goalkeeper ensuring there would be no repeat of the Welshman’s stunner against Manchester City.

Ramsdale hared off his line to save bravely at the feet of Calvert-Lewin before Richarlison struck the angle of post and crossbar with a ferocious 25-yarder.

Solanke drew a fine save from Pickford after letting fly from the edge of the box, the goalkeeper tipping his venomous drive over the crossbar.

However, Pickford was powerless to prevent the Cherries from taking the lead through Callum Wilson midway through the first half.

The striker headed home from close range – his second goal in as many games – after Solanke had flicked on Rico’s corner and King had hooked it back into the danger zone.

Another long-range free-kick from Harry Wilson was charged down by the Everton wall before Richarlison headed wide from a Digne centre.

Fabian Delph was booked for upending Harry Wilson having previously escaped unpunished after committing a couple of other fouls.  

Billing went close to doubling the Cherries’ lead when he saw his effort deflect off Schneiderlin for a corner having been teed up by King.

Everton restored parity on the stroke of half-time when Calvert-Lewin outjumped the Cherries defence to power a header past Ramsdale following Richarlison’s delicate cross.

Ramsdale had to be on his toes to keep out Sigurdsson’s shot at the start of the second half, the Cherries goalkeeper helping it over the crossbar.

Fraser was unleashed from the bench in place of Harry Wilson after 57 minutes and immediately drew a foul from Digne which earned the Everton defender a booking.

Ramsdale came to the Cherries’ rescue having been sold short by Steve Cook’s backpass, the goalkeeper saving from Calvert-Lewin after he had nipped in.

The hosts regained the lead after 67 minutes when Fraser’s driven free-kick from the edge of the box crept under Delph’s foot and past a rather flat-footed Pickford.

King won the free-kick when he was fouled by Richarlison, the Brazilian following Delph and Digne into referee Paul Tierney’s notebook.

And it got better for the Cherries when Callum Wilson extended their advantage in the 72nd minute, the striker adding his second and their third with a finely-executed goal.

Wilson gave the Everton defence the slip having been picked out by Rico’s through ball and finished with aplomb by deftly lifting the ball over the advancing Pickford from just inside the 18-yard box.

Ramsdale made a superb save to keep out Iwobi’s piledriver from point-blank range before Richarlison fly-hacked the loose ball well wide of the target.

Although the Toffees went in search of reducing the arrears, they found the Cherries defence in irrepressible form.


Leicester City Vitality Stadium

Premier League

12th July 2020 7:00 PM

Breaking News