icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

Sign In

Register using your Facebook, Gmail or Twitter account.
Sign in
Forgotten your password?

Newcastle United vs AFC Bournemouth at Stadion.Core.ViewModels.Matchday.LocationViewModel


Newcastle United


AFC Bournemouth

, Steve Cook ‘92'
FT 4th November 2017 3:00 PM
St. James' Park
Sponsored by M88

Cook scores late to stir up away Magpies win

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth

Paul Tierney

Steve Cook scored in added time as the Cherries secured a stunning away win on Tyneside.

There was plenty of drama throughout the game, Matt Ritchie hit the post hosts, likewise Marc Pugh for the visitors after the break, but it was in the dying embers when the Cherries late show secured back-to-back Premier League away wins.

Defender Cook was the match-winner with his first goal of the season as he met Andrew Surman's corner to send the Cherries into delirium.

The win sees Bournemouth hop up and out of the Premier League bottom three ahead of the international break next weekend.

Joshua King returned to the starting 11 for the match on Tyneside following injury, partnering Callum Wilson in attack as manager Eddie Howe fielded an attacking line-up - the Cherries in their sky blue away strip.

Ritchie forced Asmir Begovic into a terrific tipped save inside five minutes as he arrowed in a shot from range against his former side.

The away side soon attacked with promise when King fed a ball through for Wilson. The recalled Harry Arter was ready to pounce in the area but the ball couldn't be worked into a shooting opportunity.

Dwight Gayle connected with a pinpoint cross to head goalwards, defender Cook crucially blocking with his chest, while Begovic saved stunningly from another Ritchie long ranger.

Moments later Ritchie's hat-trick of shots was completed as the dangerman curled a crafted effort onto the post, Gayle tapping home the loose ball - but from an offside position.

Jonjo Shelvey cracked another distance shot over the bar, the Toon Army the dominant side in the opening 20 minutes on Tyneside.

Christian Atsu - another one-time Bournemouth player - curled in a shot that Cook again needed to bravely block away, though the game was beginning to settle after a frenetic opening.

Simon Francis intercepted smartly and King was suddenly pushing forwards for the visitors, ignoring Wilson to his right the Norwegian fired low but wide of the target from 22 yards.

Wilson came within a 'keeper's fingertip of giving the Cherries a lead after Jordon Ibe and Francis combined to cross for the frontman to loop a header that was dropping in before Rob Elliot's full-stretch intervention.

After the resulting corner was recycled into the box, King was able to bring down the ball and fire in, Elliott again impressing as he held onto the shot.

Scoreless at the break despite a high-level of attacking promise at both ends, Begovic needed to tip Joselu's bouncing header over the bar to start the second period.

On 52 minutes Wilson ran onto King's threaded ball and was in on goal. With just Elliot to beat the striker struck from ten yards, but the ball hit the side of the netting and not the back of it.

The home fans were becoming restless, and their side were nearly behind when King brought the ball down 30 yards out and and cleverly picked out Pugh's backpost run, the winger's header back across goal well saved by a flying Elliot.

The Cherries again breaking forwards at pace King played a ball into Pugh in the left of the box, the trademark cut inside and shot followed, though the ball passed the wrong side of the upright.  

The momentum was swinging towards the visitors with the game creeping into the final 15 minutes, and Jermain Defoe and Adam Smith soon entered the fray for Wilson and Ibe.

Into the closing stages and the half chances kept coming at both ends, the Cherries winning corners but failing to turn them into true openings.

In the last minute of the 90 Pugh thought he had won the game as Newcastle failed to clear in their box.

The winger turned inside his man, got his shot away from close range but via a deflection the ball rolled agonisingly back into play after hitting the inside of the post.

There was still time for Defoe to fire towards the near post, Elliot blocking behind and from the set piece Cook won the game for the away side. 

Surman's corner was direct and headed home forcefully in the six-yard area by the arriving centre-back, who stormed off with team-mates in tow to salute the loud and impressive band of away fans in the top tier at St. James' Park. 

The win was soon seen out and back-to-back away successes were duly earned by the Cherries ahead of the long journey back down south.



Manchester City Etihad Stadium

Premier League

15th July 2020 6:00 PM

Breaking News