icon_corner icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_start_stop icon_post icon_miss icon_save icon_card_red icon_save icon_start_stop icon_sub icon_card_yellow accessibility icon account-off icon account-on icon arrow-left icon arrow-right icon attack icon chevron-down icon chevron-left icon chevron-right icon chevron-up icon Combined Shape Created with Sketch. cross icon defence icon icon_disallowed_goal email icon facebook icon giphy icon google icon instagram icon linkedin icon lock icon messenger icon padlock icon Svg Vector Icons : http://www.onlinewebfonts.com/icon Panel Created with Sketch. Pattern Created with Sketch. pinterest icon Icon_PlayButton Created with Sketch. plus-thin icon plus icon Created with Sketch. Created with Sketch. search icon soundcloud icon sub-in icon sub-out icon tweet icon twitter icon icon_user__out icon_user_out vimeo icon whatsapp icon icon_start_stop youtube icon

AFC Bournemouth vs Tottenham Hotspur at Stadion.Core.ViewModels.Matchday.LocationViewModel


AFC Bournemouth

, Junior Stanislas ‘7'

Tottenham Hotspur

, Dele Alli ‘35' , Son Heung-Min ‘62' , Son Heung-Min ‘87' , Serge Aurier ‘91'
FT 11th March 2018 4:00 PM
Vitality Stadium
Stats Sponsored by MSP Capital

Cherries outdone by rampant Spurs

AFC Bournemouth AFC Bournemouth

Mike Dean

AFC Bournemouth came out second best at Vitality Stadium as Tottenham Hotspur came away 4-1 winners.

Junior Stanislas gave the Cherries the lead after an electric start on the south coast, but strikes from Dele Alli, Serge Aurier and two from the in-form Heung-Min Son gave the London side the three points.

Eddie Howe made one change to the team that drew at the King Power Stadium last week, with Lys Mousset coming in for Joshua King.

The Cherries had the first real chance of the game, with Mousset played through behind the Spurs' backline, squaring to Stanislas whose dink beat Hugo Lloris but rebounded off the bar.

That ramped up the atmosphere in the stadium and the winger would soon make amends moments later.

Adam Smith cleverly beat Danny Rose on the right, before putting an excellent ball into the box for Stanislas at the back post, who chested down and fired a very well hit left-footed strike across Lloris and into the bottom corner.

And the Cherries continued to apply the pressure, a Stanislas corner finding Mousset in the box, but the Frenchman could only direct his shot over from close range.

Up the other end of the pitch, Spurs’ first chance came through the unlikely suspect of Jan Vertonghen, who couldn’t quite direct Rose’s shot goalwards.

And it wasn’t long before Mauricio Pochettino’s side had the ball in the back of the net, before it was quickly ruled out by the linesman, Harry Kane latching onto the end of a Christian Eriksen cross from an offside position.  

That incident forced the England frontman off with an ankle injury, as he collided with Asmir Begovic in the box - he was replaced by Erik Lamela as England and Spurs fans grimaced over how serious the injury is.

Nevertheless, Pochettino’s side soon made their chances count as they stepped up a gear.

Aurier raced down the right and crossed in for Alli, who converted from close range to level the scores.

With the half way mark approaching, there was still time from one more chance for the visitors. Eriksen found himself in space and tried one from range, but Asmir Begovic was able to collect under no pressure.

Following the break, the Cherries got off to an energetic start, with Simon Francis’ flying shot from range excellent saved by Hugo Lloris.

From the resulting corner, the hosts came close again, this time through Nathan Ake, who had the ball headed against him but it hit the Dutchman in the face and flew narrowly over.

Minutes later, it was Spurs on the attack and Alli nearly had a second, only for Francis to boot clear just in time as the midfielder looked certain to apply the finish.

It was then Eriksen to test the Cherries, trying another shot from range, but Begovic calmly parried away before Aurier fired the rebound high into the Ted MacDougall Stand.

Howe’s side soon responded, with Stanislas played in down the left. Some neat footwork saw him beat his man before squaring to Dan Gosling, but the midfielder’s shot was wide and couldn’t test Lloris.

Yet, the Cherries pressure couldn’t prevail and it was Spurs who finally pounced again.  

Alli picked up the ball on the left-hand side and floated one into the box to find Son Heung-Min at the back post, whose scuffed shot deceived Begovic and went in.

With a response needed, Howe turned to his bench, opting to bring on Jordon Ibe and Joshua King for Mousset and Charlie Daniels.

The Cherries digging in, another chance fell to captain Francis, who hit from range once more, this time his shot narrowly firing over Lloris’ goal.

With a little over five minutes to go, Howe’s side thought their persistence had paid off with an equaliser.

A Lewis Cook free kick was headed on by Steve Cook, with Callum Wilson controlling and firing home from close range, only for Mike Dean to controversially blow up for a push on Davinson Sanchez.

However, all hopes of a point were almost immediately dashed, with Son played in one-on-one by Eriksen, going on to round Begovic and slot home for 3-1.

And the visitors weren’t quite done yet.

With the Cherries pressing forward, Spurs took advantage and it was Aurier who added a fourth in added time, firing home the rebound of Kieran Trippier’s shot.  

It was a gutsy effort from the hosts with a great atmosphere at Vitality Stadium, but it wasn't enough as Champions League chasing Spurs were winners.


Manchester City Etihad Stadium

Premier League

13th August 2022 3:00 PM

Breaking News