Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 14 Jan 17 at 16:52 PM

Report: Hull City 3-1 AFC Bournemouth - Cherries score first but fall to defeat at KCOM

After scoring first, AFC Bournemouth were defeated 3-1 by Hull City at the KCOM Stadium.

Junior Stanislas gave the Cherries a rapid-fire lead from the penalty spot in the opening minutes of the contest but Abel Hernandez struck back with a header before the break.

Hernandez scored a second after half time and Hull increased their lead when Tyrone Mings unfortunately deflected into his own goal following a powerful Tom Huddlestone shot.

Manager Eddie Howe made five changes to his starting line-up from the 11 that began against Arsenal in their last Premier League match. 

Andrew Surman, Benik Afobe, Jack Wilshere, Mings and Adam Smith came in from the off, with Surman deputising for the suspended Simon Francis as captain.

As early as the third minute the Cherries gained the opportunity for a perfect start, winning a penalty when Ryan Fraser was sent tumbling in the box by Tigers defender Harry Maguire.

Stanislas stepped up and blasted the ball past Eldin Jakupovic to open the scoring with his fourth league goal of the season.

The Cherries enjoyed plenty of the ball in the opening segment of the game and went close to doubling the advantage when Harry Arter's challenge saw the ball rebound into Wilshere's path, the midfielder strode into the area but had his shot blocked.

Arter himself then whistled a left-footed effort narrowly wide from outside the box after receiving a square pass from Stanislas.

The Cherries were taking the sting out of the energetic hosts and Afobe soon anticipated Michael Dawson's hesitancy fielding a long ball. Nipping in, the striker poked at a shot that was saved close-in by Jakupovic's body, Arter firing his follow-up into the arms of the Hull 'keeper.

Hull rallied on the half-hour mark and Robert Snodgrass's opportunistic volley dipped not far over Artur Boruc's crossbar.

The Tigers were level two minutes later, however. A fluid move from one flank to the other gave Andy Robertson space and his in-swinging cross was headed home at the back post by Hernandez.

Closing in on half time and Hull were pushing for a second. A cleverly-disguised corner from Snodgrass allowed Sam Clucas to get a shot away running into the area, but the effort was blocked by the gaggle of players in front of him.

The scores level at the start of the second period, Hull came out with more intent after the interval and took the lead within five minutes of the restart.

Uruguay international Hernandez was the scorer again as he danced into the area and faced by Mings drove his finish low into the far corner.

A double Cherries change brought Joshua King and Callum Wilson on for Fraser and Afobe, though moments after the double switch Ryan Mason's long-range drive passed just wide of the post for the home side.

Just past the hour mark and the Tigers scored their third. A free kick was flicked clear only to Huddlestone whose volleyed shot was deflected into the back of his own net by the luckless Mings, making his first Premier League start.

Wilshere tested Jakupovic's handling from 25 yards as the visitors looked to get back into the game, and there were strong shouts for a second Cherries penalty when final substitute Marc Pugh was tackled in the box.

The Cherries were finding the resolute Tigers defence tough to break down, the City defence dropping deeper and the visiting side unable to find spaces in attack.  

Some promising build-up play between Charlie Daniels and Wilshere gave Adam Smith room to cross late on, but his centre was mis-hit and cleared as the Cherries' long away trip ended without any points.

    Latest Match Reports