Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 04 Dec 16 at 15:55 PM

AFC Bournemouth 4-3 Liverpool - Sensational comeback from the Cherries as Nathan Ake nets late winner

AFC Bournemouth secured a truly memorable comeback to beat Liverpool for the first time ever in a sensational Premier League game at Vitality Stadium.


The Cherries came from both 2-0 and 3-1 down to secure a famous victory on the south coast, with Nathan Ake netting a dramatic 90th minute winner to send the Cherries’ faithful into raptures.


Eddie Howe made two changes to the side that lost at Arsenal last week, with Artur Boruc returning in goal for Adam Federici and Jack Wilshere coming in for Brad Smith.


It was a quiet start to the game with the visitors on top, and they deservedly took the lead, when Emre Can clipped the ball forward to Mane who slipped past the Cherries defence and his deft touch was enough for the ball to slip past Artur Boruc.


No more than two minutes later, the Reds doubled their lead.


Jordan Henderson played a long ball down the line and Divock Origi won the race against Boruc, guiding the ball around the Poland international and finishing smartly into the side netting from the corner of the box.


Another quiet spell followed, with neither side creating any clear-cut chances.


However, just after the half-hour mark Nathan Ake was seemingly brought down in the Liverpool area after beating his man, but referee Bobby Madley was quick to wave away the appeals.


As the second half got underway, it was Jurgen Klopp’s side that started the brightest, shortly before Junior Stanislas rolled his ankle and was forced off to be replaced by Ryan Fraser.


And what an impact the diminutive Scot would have as within moments of coming on, he drew a foul from James Milner in the penalty area and the Cherries were awarded a spot kick.


For the second week in a row, Callum Wilson stepped up, this time sending Loris Karius the wrong way, halving the deficit for 2-1. 


However, up the other end of the pitch, the Reds’ attacking prowess showed and they soon grabbed their third of the afternoon. 


Mane used his pace to dribble through the Cherries defence, squaring to Can who finished with a great curling effort from the edge of the box.


In an end-to-end encounter, the home side bounced back and pressed forward once more. Former Red Jordon Ibe got the better of Lucas and provided a fantastic ball into the box for Fraser, only for his thunderbolt shot to be acrobatically saved by Karius.


Minutes later, the ever-impressive Fraser was rewarded for his efforts.


The Scotsman played in fellow substitute Afobe, whose crossed failed to be cleared allowing for Fraser to calmly fire a low effort into the bottom right-hand corner.


And a raucous Vitality Stadium didn’t have to wait long for the equaliser.


Fraser’s cross found Cook with a yard of space in the Liverpool box, allowing for him to gracefully bring it down and almost in one movement, smash the ball past Karius.


The Reds piled forward in search of a winner, with an Adam Lallana corner finding Origi, but his sharp turn and shot wasn’t enough as it blazed over the crossbar.   


However, one last chance presented itself for the Cherries.


Cook collected the ball on the edge of the Liverpool area and smashed a shot goalwards from distance, only for Karius to spill his effort and Ake to pounce on the rebound with moments remaining.  


The crowd went beserk and the Cherries earned a historic Premier League victory and rise to tenth in the Premier League.

    Latest Match Reports