Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 15 Oct 16 at 17:01 PM

Report: AFC Bournemouth 6-1 Hull City - Rampant Cherries secure biggest ever top flight victory

AFC Bournemouth produced a memorable display at Vitality Stadium to earn their biggest ever Premier League victory, overcoming Hull City in a 6-1 win. 

Charlie Daniels opened the scoring after just five minutes in a rampant Cherries performance, before Ryan Mason cancelled the goal out just after the half-hour mark. However, the Cherries were able to make their chances count with goals from Steve Cook, a Junior Stanislas brace, Callum Wilson and Dan Gosling giving Eddie Howe’s men their first six goal haul since 2004.

After avoiding defeat in the two games prior to the international break, against Everton and Watford, Eddie Howe named the same starting line-up. 

It was a decision that was vindicated after just five minutes. Harry Arter was brought down just outside the box, with Stanislas poised over the free-kick. After his superb effort hit the post, the ball kindly fell to Daniels once again, who expertly volleyed in from close range. 

The home side enjoyed a lot of early possession, looking comfortable on the ball, with Jordon Ibe in particular a lively outlet on the left hand side. 

The chances kept on coming for Eddie Howe’s men as Daniels played in Ibe down the left-hand side, before the ball was cut back for Callum Wilson who lashed a shot against the crossbar. 

However, it was Hull who came back fighting and made the most of a misplaced pass by Cook. Jake Livermore fed the loose ball through to Mason whose shot deflected off Cook and flew straight past Artur Boruc who had no chance. 

Nevertheless, the Cherries were back ahead within moments as Stanislas whipped in a wonderful free-kick, leaving Cook on hand to head home on his 200th Cherries appearance. 

The afternoon continued to improve for the home fans at Vitality Stadium, as Wilson was recklessly brought down by Robert Snodgrass in the box, leaving Stanislas in charge of converting the spot-kick as the Cherries entered the break 3-1 up. 

Early in the second half, the hosts continued as they left off as Cook nearly grabbed his second of the game, after meeting a superb corner sent in by Daniels and forcing David Marshall into a flying save.    

Just after the hour mark, the fourth goal for Bournemouth duly arrived. 

Joshua King, who had just been introduced for the remarkable Ibe, made an immediate impact, linking up well with Smith. The right-back played a low ball into the danger zone finding Stanislas who effortlessly finished for his second of the afternoon. 

Marshall was forced into yet more saves, while a Clucas effort from range for the Tigers sailed over the Ted MacDougall Stand, somewhat summing up Hull’s afternoon. 

To make matters worse for Phelan’s side, the Cherries weren’t quite finished yet. 

A short corner was played back to King who whipped the ball into an unmarked Wilson and he headed in a deserved goal with seven minutes to play.

The Cherries fans chanted ‘we want six’, and were given what they clamoured for with a minute left to play.

Daniels was in the thick of the action yet again, slaloming through the Tigers’ back-four, before squaring it to substitute Gosling who curled one in to round off sensational performance.

AFC Bournemouth: Boruc, Smith, Francis, Cook, Daniels, Surman, Arter, Stanislas, Wilshere (Gosling 77), Ibe (King 61), Wilson (Afobe 84) 

Subs not used: Federici, Mings, Ake, Fraser 

Hull City: Marshall, Robertson (Diomande 62), Maguire, Davies, Snodgrass, Clucas, Livermore, Maloney (Huddlestone 54), Keane, Mason (Mayler 77), Elmohamady 

Subs not used: Jakupovic, Hernandez, Weir, Henriksen 

Attendance: 11,029 

Referee: Lee Mason 


AFC Bournemouth: Daniels (5), Cook (40), Stanislas (44, 64), Wilson (83), Gosling (87), 
Hull City: Mason (33),  

AFC Bournemouth:
Hull City: Clucas (18), Snodgrass (43), Robertson (58)

    Latest Match Reports