Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 22 Sep 15 at 06:10 AM

Preston North End 2-2 AFC Bournemouth

AFC Bournemouth made it through to the last 16 of the Capital One Cup, winning 3-2 on penalties at Preston North End.

After finishing 2-2 at the end of 120 minutes, Jordan Hugill missed the first attempt from 12 yards, which allowed Junior Stanislas the chance to put the Cherries in front. 

Having seen Steve Cook and Kyel Reid put away their efforts, Dan Gosling had his saved. 

But Australian international Adam Federici stopped the next one and Marc Pugh then capitalised. That proved to be enough as Federici saved Daniel Johnson's penalty - the final of the Whites' first initial five. 

Shaun MacDonald nodded the away side into a first half lead, heading the ball over the reach of goalkeeper Jordan Pickford. 

But Preston's equaliser came in the 85th minute as substitute Hugill met a deep cross at the back post to level the scores. 

It was another replacement who made the difference again, this time in extra-time, as Pugh tapped in from King's cross. 

There was more drama in the 117th minute as Johnson scored from the penalty spot to send the tie to spot kicks. 

Eddie Howe made nine changes to the starting line-up following the weekend’s win over Sunderland in the Barclays Premier League. 

But it was strong team, with Simon Francis and Steve Cook keeping their places as summer signings Christian Atsu and King came into the XI. 

The Cherries faced a significant step up after beating Hartlepool United comfortably in the previous round and soon found out they were in for a closer game. 

The Cherries’ top flight class shone through as MacDonald arrived late on the scene as Pickford punched away a Junior Stanislas cross and judged his hearder, which looped over the Lilywhites number one, perfectly. 

Joshua King then went close just before the break, but one goal still separated the two teams when the second half got under way. 

Stanislas did his best to change that by attempting to score his second goal of the competition, only to find Pickford behind his well struck free-kick from 30 yards out. 

The visitors were made to regret wasted chances though as Hugill was left to head home from just a few yards out and send the tie into extra-time. 

But they were soon back on course as Pugh anticipated King's low centre and tapped in from inside the six yard box to restore the lead and send the club through. 

Lee Tomlin, on for Yann Kermorgant, did his best to make the finish more comfortable, but Pickford made two impressive saves as the former Middlesbrough man went one-on-one. 

There was still time for one final twists as the referee pointed to the spot, where Johnson made no mistake from deep into extra-time. 

Preston North End: Pickford, Woods, Clarke, Wright, Cunningham, Humphrey (Vermijl 78), Welsh (Reid 74), Browne, Johnson, Keane, May (Hugill 74). 

Unused substitutes: Kirkland, Smith, Kilkenny, Brownhill. 

Cherries: Federici, Francis, Cook, Cargill, Smith, MacDonald (Gosling 89), O'Kane, Atsu (Pugh 80), King, Stanislas, Kermorgant (Tomlin 80). 

Unused substitutes: Allsop, Butcher, Buckley, Gosling, Surridge. 

Booked: King 

Attendance: 5,643 (including 269 Cherries supporters)

    Latest Match Reports