Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Mar 16 at 17:00 PM

Newcastle United 1-3 AFC Bournemouth

AFC Bournemouth secured another vital three points with a 3-1 victory away against Newcastle United.
Joshua King’s first-half cross was deflected past Rob Elliot by Newcastle defender Steve Taylor to give the Cherries the lead, before the Norwegian international then rocketed in a strike of his own on the 70th minute.

But the hosts replied immediately with a goal of their own. Ayoze Perez dinked a finish over Artur Boruc on the 80th minute to set up a tense climax, but Charlie Daniels netted his third of the season late on to secure all three points.

Newcastle started brightly and came close early on. Almost immediately from kick-off a dangerous cross from the right nearly found the free head of Emmanuel Riviere lurking in the penalty area, before captain Jonjo Shelvey then drilled a low effort wide past the post.

AFC Bournemouth fought back though and soon created an opening of their own. Matt Ritchie’s corner pinballed around the Newcastle area before dropping to Max Gradel in plenty of space, but the Ivorian couldn’t direct his strike goalwards.

Adam Smith then picked up a half-cleared ball and drove into the Newcastle penalty area to cross for Benik Afobe, but the striker was unable to keep his half volley down.

Midway through the opening half the Magpies had a real chance to take the lead. Riviere met Daryl Janmaat’s low cross at the back post and struck at goal, but Simon Francis blocked expertly to avert the danger.

The Cherries then took the lead just five minutes later. Sharp footwork from Gradel allowed him to avoid two tackles and release Joshua King down the left. The Norwegian’s low cross into the area was then deflected off Steven Taylor and past Rob Elliot.

Immediately after Steve McLaren made his first change of the afternoon, replacing Paul Dummett with Vurnon Anita.

The afternoon almost got a lot worse for Newcastle’s Taylor. Afobe picked up the ball with his back to goal and looked to spin in the area, before being felled by the defender. But referee Paul Tierney waved away any claims for a penalty.

Taylor appeared to be at the centre of all the action, at both ends. Next the defender found space in the Cherries penalty area and unleashed a strike at goal, but could only watch on as it was deflected behind for a corner in what was the final action of the first half.

The Newcastle boss used the interval to make his second substitution of the day, as Aleksandar Mitrovic replaced Riviere.

The Cherries started the second half well and had a number of chances to extend their lead, first through Smith’s 50th minute drive from distance and then King’s curled effort just moments later.

Eddie Howe then made his first substitution of the afternoon on the hour mark, as the recently returned Gradel made way in a straight swap for Marc Pugh.

Boruc was forced into his first real save of the match moments later. Janmaat met a return pass in the corner of the penalty area and struck low at goal, but the Pole was down quickly to deny an equaliser. 

With twenty minutes remaining, Rolando Aarons replaced Moussa Sissoko as Newcastle’s final change. Whilst Lewis Grabban came on to replace Afobe.

Immediately after the change, the Cherries doubled their lead. Ritchie burst forward and slipped in King whose first touch took him around his marker and into space. He then rocketed a strike passed Elliot and into the roof of the net to make it 2-0.

The hosts were not prepared to just roll over, however. In the 80th minute Ayoze Perez got in behind the Cherries back line and dinked a finish over Boruc to give Newcastle a way back into the encounter.

Having steadied the ship, Howe’s men then almost restored their two goal advantage. Substitute Pugh had his strike parried behind by Elliot before Grabban then dragged a smart volley wide of the far post. 

With 90 minutes played, Sylvain Distin came on in place of Ritchie to add support to the Cherries defence. 

Though no sooner had the Frenchman graced the pitch, AFC Bournemouth made it three. 

Daniels went on another marauding run from the back and drilled a strike from the edge of the area into Elliot’s far corner to restore the advantage and secure a vital three points for Eddie Howe’s men.

AFC Bournemouth: Boruc, Smith, Francis, Cook, Daniels, Ritchie (Distin 90), Gosling, Surman, Gradel (Pugh 60), King, Afobe (Grabban 68).

Subs not used: Elphick, Federici, Murray, O’Kane.

Newcastle United: Elliot, Dummett (Anita 31), Colback, Wijnaldum, Sissoko, Shelvey, Lascelles, Perez, Janmaat, Taylor, Riviere (Mitrovic 45).

Subs not used: Gouffran, Aarons, Saivet, Darlow, Doumbia.

Referee: Paul Tierney

Yellow cards: Perez, Gosling, Grabban

Goals: Taylor (OG), King, Perez, Daniels

    Latest Match Reports