Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 30 Jun 15 at 20:50 PM

AFC Bournemouth secured a hard-fought 0-0 draw in their latest Barclays Premier League match away at Watford.

The goalless draw saw Max Gradel return to action after a six-month injury lay-off, and it was the Ivorian who had the best chance of the afternoon.

After a sharp one-two with Surman Gradel found space in the penalty area to shoot on the hour mark, but was unable to keep his strike down.

It was the hosts that created the first meaningful chance of the afternoon. The ever-lively Odion Ighalo skipped free down the right flank to strike at goal, but was denied by the strong left hand of Artur Boruc.

The Nigerian then came close once again just five minutes later. Juan Carlos Paredes beat Charlie Daniels to the ball to cross from the right, but Ighalo couldn't quite adjust his feet and fired wide of the post.

There was to be an early change for the Cherries, as Junior Stanislas went down on the 23rd minute clutching his hamstring. Max Gradel was the man to replace him, as the Ivorian returned to the action after a six-month injury lay-off.

With ten minutes until half time Joshua King almost fired. The Norwegian international brought Matt Ritchie's free-kick down in the penalty area with a splendid touch, but his strike at goal was blocked by a sea of Watford shirts.

AFC Bournemouth started the second half well and after just five minutes Ritchie and King linked up once more, but the latter was unable to guide his half-volley goalwards.

That chance appeared to spur the Cherries on. Andrew Surman and Gradel played a quick one-two on the edge of the host's penalty area, but Gradel's resulting strike rocketed over the crossbar.

Heurelho Gomes then came to the rescue for Watford moments later as the Brazilian palmed Harry Arter's long-range strike behind for a corner.

The hosts were quick to respond, however. Nordin Amrabat surged down the right flank and cut the ball back into space, only for Ighlao to head over from close range.

With 17 minutes remaining Eddie Howe made his second change of the afternoon, as Dan Gosling replaced Benik Afobe.

The substitute almost made an immediate impact. As Watford struggled to clear a Ritchie free-kick the ball fell to the feet of Gosling in the penalty area, but he was unable to steer his strike past Gomes.

The Watford goalkeeper then made another crucial save for his side. Gradel met King's cross from six-yards out and powered a header at goal, only for Gomes to claw it off his line and away from danger.

With just five minutes to play the Cherries made their final substitution, with Glenn Murray replacing Ritchie.

Murray's first contribution was to tee up Gradel in the area, where the Ivorian spun but saw his deflected shot from close range bounce over the crossbar.

Despite a late rally from the Cherries, the hosts were able to hold and ensure a share of the points.

Cherries: Boruc, Francis (c), Cook, Surman, Arter, Daniels, Smith, King, Stanislas (Gradel, 23), Afobe (Gosling, 73), Ritchie (Murray, 85)
Not used: Federici, Elphick, Iturbe, Distin.

Watford: Gomes, Britos, Behrami, Deeney (c), Amrabat (Abdi, 83), Paredes, Cathcart, Ake, Watson, Ighalo, Capoue (Suarez, 56)
Not used: Pantilimon, Nyom, Prodl, Anya, Holebas

Attendance: 20,835 (2,111)
Referee: Anthony Taylor
Yellow cards: Watson, Behrami, Surman

    Latest Match Reports