Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 30 Jun 15 at 20:42 PM

AFC Bournemouth 1-1 Leicester City

AFC Bournemouth were held to a 1-1 draw at home to Leicester City in the Barclays Premier League.

Callum Wilson gave the Cherries the lead in the first half by netting an audacious overhead kick, but Jamie Vardy struck from the spot in the second to steal a share of the points. 

It was the visitors that had the ball in the net first. The in-form Riyad Mahrez rounded Artur Boruc before applying the finish, but the linesman’s flag was firmly raised for offside.

Following that early scare the Cherries began to gain a foothold in the game. Charlie Daniels’ cross-come-shot from the right caught Kasper Schmeichel off-guard and almost snuck in under the Dane’s crossbar.

It was Daniels’ threat down the left that eventually led to the breakthrough. The full-back’s next cross was headed back across goal by Max Gradel before Wilson volleyed home an audacious overhead kick to put the men in red and black ahead.

Buoyed by their opener, the Cherries began to look very confident in possession. Neat play from Eunan O’Kane ensured they dominated the centre of the park and Gradel almost doubled the lead with a rasping free-kick just before the break.

The second half, however, was an entirely different affair, as the visitors came out with the bit between their teeth. A feisty ten minutes ensued in which Robert Huth was shown a yellow card for an off-the-ball clash with Wilson. 

Half-time substitute Tyrone Mings was then stretchered off shortly after, following an innocuous challenge. Adam Smith replaced the summer signing.

Moments later Eddie Howe was forced to make yet another substitution as Gradel was hauled down by Ritchie de Laet. Marc Pugh was the man chosen to replace the injured Ivorian.

Leicester began to sense it was their time, and Jeff Schlupp bore down the left flank to drill a low strike at Boruc, but the Pole was equal to the effort.

The Foxes continued to push and Shinji Okazaki found space on the edge of the penalty area, but was denied by Tommy Elphick who delivered a fine last-ditch tackle to deny the Japan international.

The visitors did eventually get their reward, though. A swift counter attack saw Vardy felled in the penalty area by Steve Cook and referee Neil Swarbrick pointed to the spot.

Vardy was then quick to dust himself off and despatch the spot kick to level proceedings. 

With eight minutes added on there was still plenty of time for either side to find a winner. Simon Francis came close with a drilled strike for a free-kick, but his effort was deflected wide.

There was then a final penalty shout for the Cherries in the dying moments as Wilson broke into the penalty and was brought to the ground, but Swarbrick waved away the protests.

Cherries: Boruc, Francis, Cook, Elphick, Daniels (Mings, 45 (Smith, 57)), O’Kane, Surman, Gradel (Pugh, 66), Ritchie, Tomlin, Wilson
Not used: Federici, Distin, MacDonald, Kermorgant
Attendance: 11,102

    Latest Match Reports