Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 25 Jan 15 at 16:50 PM

Aston Villa 2-1 AFC Bournemouth

AFC Bournemouth exited the FA Cup in the fourth round following a 2-1 defeat at Aston Villa.

The Cherries created the best chances in the first half, but were beaten thanks to two clinical finishes in the second period.

Carles Gil scored the opener with a fantastic curling effort before Andreas Weimann converted from Alan Hutton’s pull back.

The visitors looked to have enough to come back into the tie after Gil’s strike, only for the 71st minute finish from Weimann to put the game beyond Eddie Howe’s team.

A slick team move involving Matt Ritchie and Adam Smith helped Callum Wilson pull one back in injury time, but it wasn't enough.

The Cherries left the Midlands counting the cost of wasted chances for Harry Arter, Eunan O’Kane and Shuan MacDonald, who came closest with a shot blocked on the line.

Howe made two changes to the starting line-up from the previous round, with Tommy Elphick and Arter replacing the injured Baily Cargill and Dan Gosling.

With shocks at Chelsea and Manchester City the previous day, almost 6,000 fans made their way to Villa Park in expectation as much as hope of another upset.

The travelling contingent were encouraged early on as MacDonald and Arter threatened to put the visitors in front in the opening ten minutes.

The exchanges had an open feel though and recalled goalkeeper Lee Camp was at full stretch as he watched Wiemann’s header bounce wide of the mark.

However, the Sky Bet Championship league leaders went on to enjoy the best chances before the break.

MacDonald rounded Shay Given, only to see Kieran Richardson cover for the former Republic of Ireland number one and block the midfielder’s effort on the line.

The Cherries were certainly unfazed by the occasion and O’Kane was unfortunate not to open the scoring with a couple of strikes from distance.

There were warning signs for the Cherries just after the restart as Christian Benteke carried the ball across the box and played in Gil, who hit the sidenetting.

But it was Villa’s January signing who put the home side into the lead, cutting inside Ian Harte and bending a fantastic strike into the top corner.

The tie was effectively ended as a contest as Hutton got in behind Fraser and squared for Weimann, who finished with a first time sidefooted strike.

Howe sent on Simon Francis and Wilson for Yann Kermorgant and Harte, with Ritchie coming on in place of Junior Stanislas with 12 minutes to go.

Stanislas had the away side’s best chance of the second half, sliding in and just failing to make contact with Smith’s inswinging cross.

That was until Wilson poked home from Smith's low cross in a well worked consolation in injury time.

Aston Villa: Given, Hutton, Okore, Clark, Richardson, Bacuna (Grealish 90), Cleverley, Sanchez, Gil (Westwood 87), Weimann, Benteke.

Unused substitutes: Guzan, Baker, Cissokho, Lowton, Burke.

Booked: Hutton, Okore

Goals: Gil (51), Weimann (71)

Cherries: Camp, Smith, Elphick, Cook, Harte (Francis 60), Stanislas (Ritchie 78), O'Kane, Arter, MacDonald, Fraser, Kermorgant (Wilson 60).

Unused substitutes: Boruc, Ward, Surman, Pitman.

Goal: Wilson (90)

Attendance: 27,415

    Latest Match Reports