Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Feb 15 at 17:20 PM

AFC Bournemouth 0-0 Blackburn Rovers

AFC Bournemouth closed the gap on the Sky Bet Championship automatic promotion places to three points with a 0-0 draw with Blackburn Rovers.

The Cherries picked up a point after the top two Derby County and Middlesbrough both lost.

The home side’s best chances came at the start of both halves, with Marc Pugh going close in the ninth minute and Callum Wilson almost nodding in the winger’s cross after the restart.

Rovers goalkeeper Jason Steele also made a superb save to deny Yann Kermorgant, who sent a powerful header goalwards with 15 minutes left to play.

The striker went even closer in the final stages as he met Simon Francis' deep cross and hit the bar, while Harry Arter was also denied by the visiting stopper in a late rally at the Goldsands Stadium.

Eddie Howe made four changes to his side, bringing in Charlie Daniels, Arter, Pugh and Kermorgant for Adam Smith, Shaun MacDonald, Matt Ritchie and Brett Pitman.

The return of Arter from suspension was a significant boost for the Cherries, who also had Kermorgant available after missing the midweek defeat at Nottingham Forest through personal reasons.

The match kicked-off half an hour later than scheduled following a traffic accident on the A338, but the home side made a bright start.

A dangerous cross flashed across the box and eventually made its way through to Pugh at the back post and he forced a save out of Steele.

Soon afterwards, Chris Taylor got forward and went past Steve Cook’s sliding tackle before aiming a low finish off target.

Those two early chances aside, neither goalkeeper was called upon in the first 40 minutes as the opening period proved to be an evenly contested affair.

The Cherries continued to enjoy the majority of possession but failed to create any clear cut openings, which led to Arter trying his luck unsuccessfully from distance.

The hosts started the second half on the front foot and only a nudge from his marker appeared to stop Wilson heading them into the lead just after the restart.

Howe waited ten minutes to make his first change, replacing Pugh with Ritchie, who almost found Kermorgant with an inswinging cross in his first involvement.

Kermorgant did meet a left wing delivery 15 minutes from time and he saw the outstretched left arm of Steele push it away from danger.

He was at the heart of all the Cherries' second half attacks and struck the woodwork with a thumping header in the final ten minutes.

Cherries: Boruc, Daniels, Elphick, Cook, Francis, Pugh (Ritchie 56), Surman, Arter, Fraser, Kermorgant, Wilson (Rantie 84).

Unused substitutes: Camp, Ward, Smith, MacDonald, Ritchie, Pitman.

Booked: Arter

Blackburn Rovers: Steele, Henley, Baptiste, Kilgallon, Olsson, Taylor (Rhodes 73), Evans, Spearing (Williamson 73), Conway, Marshall (Cairney 79), Gestede.

Unused substitutes: Eastwood, Spurr, Dunn, Brown.

Attendance: 10,196 (including 756 Blackburn supporters)

    Latest Match Reports