Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 21 Feb 15 at 16:50 PM

Brentford 3-1 AFC Bournemouth

AFC Bournemouth moved to third place in the Sky Bet Championship following a 3-1 defeat at Brentford.

With Middlesbrough beaten in the early kick-off, the Cherries followed suit as Derby County rose into top spot.

Jonathan Douglas put the Bees ahead in the ninth minute with a close range finish before Marc Pugh equalised approaching the interval.

But the home team went back in front as Alex Pritchard’s swerving free-kick deceived goalkeeper Artur Boruc in injury time.

Substitute Ryan Fraser featured in an improved second half showing, which included a turned down penalty appeal and opportunities for both Callum Wilson and Brett Pitman.

In the end, Fraser’s low drive that hit the foot of the post was the closest Eddie Howe’s team came to a second equaliser at Griffin Park.

Chris Long made sure of the points for Brentford, tapping in in the 93rd minute.

Howe was able to call upon a fully fit Simon Francis to replace Adam Smith in the starting line-up, while Dan Gosling returned to the squad. Shaun MacDonald started with Harry Arter beginning a two-match suspension.

As seventh place hosted second there was little to separate the two teams until the Cherries sprang into life, with Matt Ritchie and Francis combining to create an opening for Wilson.

The top scorer darted to the front post to meet Francis’ low cross but couldn’t get a clean connection on the strike, which was saved by goalkeeper David Button.

The visitors were soon made to pay for passing up the opportunity as Douglas scooped the ball out of a goalmouth scramble and forced it home in the ninth minute.

The Cherries stuck to their principles and that paid dividends, with chances falling for Francis and Yann Kermorgant from range.

But they were indebted to Boruc, who kept out Jota after he cut inside and looked to curl a shot into the far corner.

News came through that Derby County and Ipswich Town were losing and Pugh provided a timely boost with an equaliser on the half hour mark.

The winger drifted in off the touchline and powered his way through the defence and then beyond Button. The ball hit the post but Pugh was on hand to tap home.

In keeping with the rest of the half, it was end to end action up until half-time as Steve Cook cleared off the line having seen Alan Judge round Boruc and force in a goalbound effort.

There was one last twist in the first half as Boruc failed to push away Pritchard’s dipping free-kick and the ball landed in the sidenetting in injury time, giving the Bees the lead once again.

The Cherries certainly started the second half the stronger side and promising opportunities went for Wilson, who was unfortunate with a header and a shot from a narrow angle.

Fraser was introduced at half-time and he almost had an immediate impact, going past his man and hitting the base of the upright before sending the follow up just wide.

The Scotland under-21 international beat the offside trap moments later and went through one-on-one, only opting to shoot with Pugh well placed for a tap in to his left.

He was at the heart of all the action and picked up a yellow card for diving soon after, despite appearing to be fouled as he collected a loose ball following Cook’s blocked header on the edge of the area.

Andrew Surman and Pitman were the next players to provide the Bees with a scare but they held a one goal advantage into the closing stages.

As the search continued for a leveller, Brentford went for a third goal and Jota hit the woodwork and the body of Boruc.

Long had the final word though, arriving at the back post and converting in the six yard box to make it 3-1.

Brentford: Button, Odubajo, Tarkowski, Craig, Judge (Toral 60), Diagouraga (McCormack 74), Douglas, Jota, Pritchard, Dallas, Gray (Long 69).

Unused substitutes: Dean, Saunders, Bonham, Smith.

Booked: Craig, Odubajo, Dallas

Goals: Douglas (9), Pritchard (45), Long (90)

Cherries: Boruc, Francis, Elphick, Cook, Daniels (Smith 76), Ritchie (Fraser HT), MacDonald, Surman, Pugh, Kermorgant (Pitman 62), Wilson.

Unused substitutes: Camp, Ward, Gosling, Stanislas.

Booked: Kermorgant, Ritchie, Wilson, Fraser

Goal: Pugh (30)

Attendance: 11,459 (including 1,632 Cherries supporters)

    Latest Match Reports