Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 13 Jun 14 at 16:50 PM

AFC Bournemouth 5-3 Cardiff City

AFC Bournemouth returned to the top of the Sky Bet Championship with a 5-3 win against Cardiff City.

The Cherries went two goals ahead through Matt Ritchie and Harry Arter, but Bluebirds forward Kenwyne Jones and Marc Pugh netted in injury time to leave the scoreline at 3-1 at the interval.

Cardiff soon pulled another back thanks to Sean Morrison’s header, only for substitute Yann Kermorgant to restore the two-goal advantage with a sublime free-kick.

Aron Gunnarsson then squeezed a header beyond Artur Boruc and Arter on the line to set up a tense finish at the Goldsands Stadium.

The nerves were eased though as Callum Wilson rounded goalkeeper David Marshall a minute from time for the eighth goal of an incredible afternoon.

The entertaining victory extends the unbeaten run to 12 games in all competitions as the Cherries move back into the automatic promotion places ahead of a Capital One Cup quarter-final against Liverpool.

Despite some notable contributions from substitutes Adam Smith and Kermorgant in the win at Wolverhampton Wanderers, Eddie Howe opted to name an unchanged line-up.

It was Ritchie who provided the late winner at Molineux seven days ago and he got the Cherries off to the perfect start.

The winger was well placed to neatly convert Callum Wilson’s deep cross from close range after just 37 seconds as the hosts took an early lead.

Aside from Craig Noone’s drive, the Cherries pushed for a second, with Brett Pitman, Pugh and Wilson all going close.

But the home supporters had to endure a nervous moment before half-time as Jones struck his effort against Steve Cook in the six yard box.

The Bluebirds were then made to pay for their missed chance when Arter scored the second of the afternoon in the 43rd minute.

The Cherries’ fast paced counter attack appeared to have fizzled out until Pugh picked out Arter on the edge of the area and he found the bottom corner.

The scoring wasn’t finished for the first half though as Jones and Pugh both found the back of the net within the space of 54 seconds in injury time.

Jones slid in to pull one back from Adam le Fondre’s low centre, only for Pugh to produce a stunning third goal from distance moments later.

The travelling fans made their frustrations know as their team left the field and they made amends early on after the restart.

The warning signs were there as Charlie Daniels made a goal line clearance before Morrison headed home from the resultant corner.

It was shaping up to be an eventful second period and referee James Adcock had some contentious decisions to make, with goalkeeper David Marshall appearing to handle outside the area and Wilson brought down in the box.

He then awarded the Cherries a free-kick in a central position 25 yards from goal, which Kermorgant converted in style.

In keeping with the nature of the second half, Russell Slade’s team kept their hopes of getting back into the game with a goal from Aron Gunnarsson.

However, Wilson had the final word with a impressive run and finish in the last minute of normal time.

Cherries: Boruc, Daniels, Elphick, Cook, Francis, Pugh, Surman, Arter, Ritchie (Smith 90), Wilson (Gosling 90), Pitman (Kermorgant 59).

Unused susbtitutes: Camp, Gosling, O’Kane, Fraser, Stanislas.

Goals: Ritchie (1), Arter (43), Pugh (45), Kermorgant (67), Wilson (89)

Cardiff City: Marshall, Brayford, Turner, S. Morrison, Connolly, Noone, Whittingham, Gunnarsson, Kim (Harris HT), Jones (Macheda 70), le Fondre.

Unused substitutes: Moore, Fabio, Manga, Ralls, Adeyemi, Macheda.

Goals: Jones (45), Morrison (48), Gunnarsson (78)

Attendance: 10,440 (including 1,357 Cardiff City supporters)

    Latest Match Reports