Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 06 Dec 14 at 16:50 PM

Wolves 1-2 AFC Bournemouth

AFC Bournemouth’s unbeaten run now stands at 11 games following a 2-1 win at Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Despite Wolves going down to ten men following Rajiv van La Parra’s second half dismissal, the hosts held the lead for most of the match.

On loan forward Danny Graham got the final touch on James Henry’s cross in the 41st minute to provide the opener.

The Cherries created a number of good openings though, with Brett Pitman and Callum Wilson failing to make the most of their chances.

But the equaliser came 16 minutes from time as Harry Arter smashed the ball home from the edge of the area.

Matt Ritchie then found a late winner to complete the turnaround following an incredible goalmouth scramble.

Matt Doherty was also shown a red card in injury time as Kenny Jackett's side went down to nine men.

The first half was played at a frantic pace throughout, with Henry and Ritchie setting the tone early on.

Henry tested the reflexes of Artur Boruc just moments before Ritchie’s drive was pushed away by Carl Ikeme in an end-to-end opening.

The best chance in the early exchanges fell to Pitman, who couldn’t keep his effort on target having been found by Ritchie’s perfectly weighted pass.

However, Wolves were clearly eager to make amends in front of the their home crowd for three consecutive defeats and went close through Dominic Iorfa and van La Parra.

The hosts persisted in their search for an equaliser and each time found their attempts blocked by Boruc, who produced a great save to deny Graham.

The Cherries continued to create openings though and Simon Francis got forward to pick out the unmarked Wilson, who guided his finish over the bar.

But Graham had the last word of the first half as he got the slightest of touches on Henry’s cross to put Wolves in front four minutes before the break.

The match’s main talking point came on the hour mark as van La Parra was shown a straight red card for what appeared to be an elbow on Steve Cook.

Having received treatment, Cook was cleared to carry on and the Cherries started to looked for an equaliser with a one man advantage.

Adam Smith was sent on and made an immediate impact, hitting the sidenetting with a low drive.

But Arter went one better moments later, collecting the ball from Andrew Surman’s stepover and rifling passed Ikeme.

There was time for one last twist as the Wolves stopper made two fine saves but couldn't keep out Ritchie's follow up as the Cherries returned to winning ways.

Wolverhampton Wanderers: Ikeme, Iorfa, Batth, Stearman, Doherty, Henry (Jacobs 74), McDonald, Edwards, Sako, van La Parra, Graham (McAlinden 84).

Unused substitutes: Kuszczak, Hause, Price, Rowe, Clarke.

Booked: Stearman, Iorfa

Sent off: van La Parra, Doherty

Goal: Graham (41)

Cherries: Boruc, Francis, Elphick, Cook, Daniels (Smith 68), Ritchie, Arter, Surman, Pugh (Kermorgant 72), Pitman, Wilson (Gosling 90).

Unused substitutes: Camp, O'Kane, Fraser, Stanislas.

Goals: Arter (74), Ritchie (86)

Booked: Arter, Daniels

    Latest Match Reports