Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 22 Nov 14 at 16:50 PM

AFC Bournemouth 2-2 Ipswich Town

AFC Bournemouth kept hold of second spot in the Sky Bet Championship following a 2-2 draw with Ipswich Town.

Yann Kermorgant and Matt Ritchie got the goals for the Cherries either side of Teddy Bishop’s equaliser for Town at the start of the second half.

But Daryl Murphy headed home to pull the visitors level for a second time at the Goldsands Stadium.

The point stretches the Cherries’ unbeaten run to eight league games and nine matches in all competitions.

Spurred on by a sold out crowd, the Cherries made an electric start and hit the woodwork through Ritchie’s fierce drive from the edge of the area.

In the end, it only took 111 seconds for the home side to take the lead as Kermorgant met Simon Francis’ cross with a stunning acrobatic volley.

Only a full-stretch save from goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski and a brave block by Christophe Berra prevented the Cherries making it 2-0 as early as the ninth minute.

Kermorgant played in Marc Pugh, who went one-on-one with the goalkeeper, before Ritchie’s follow-up was deflected away from danger.

But they didn’t have it all their own way as Ipswich continued to cause plenty of problems from set-pieces.

Murphy saw his header clip the top of the bar, while Berra watched on as Artur Boruc tipped over his powerful effort back across the face of goal.

Howe’s team had one last chance before the interval, which fell to Pugh and he was once again denied by the reflexes of Bialkowski.

For all their dominance, the Cherries found themselves back on level terms just five minutes after the re-start.

Tyrone Mings sprinted down the left and found Bishop, who applied the faintest of touches to re-direct the ball beyond Boruc for the equaliser.

However, Ritchie responded just moments later to put the hosts in front for a second time. The move owed much to the persistence of Callum Wilson who crossed for the winger and he placed the ball perfectly into the sidenetting.

Again, it wasn’t to be plain sailing for the Cherries, who lost Wilson and Tokelo Rantie in quick succession.

Wilson appeared to pick up a minor muscle injury and was then replaced by the South African striker, only for him to leave the field on a stretcher eight minutes on from his introduction.

It was a huge blow for Rantie following his return from international duty, which saw him score three times in two games to help his country qualify for the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations finals.

There was more bad news for the home crowd though as Murphy flicked on Paul Anderson’s inswinging cross to make it 2-2 with 14 minutes remaining.

Rantie's injury had lead to a prolonged stoppage and the fourth offical indicated there would be 12 minutes of added on time as the clock passed the end of normal time.

The news gave fans around the ground hope of a winner, but Pugh, Harry Arter and substitute Brett Pitman were unable to convert their late chances.

Cherries: Boruc, Daniels. Cook, Elphick, Francis, Pugh, Surman, Arter, Ritchie, Kermorgant, Wilson (Rantie 62 (Pitman 70)).

Unused substitutes: Camp, Smith, Gosling, Fraser, Stanislas.

Booked: Ritchie, Kermorgant

Goals: Kermorgant (2), Ritchie (54)

Ipswich Town: Bialkowski, Chambers, Smith, Berra, Mings, Bru (Bishop 17 (Sammon 90)), Skuse, Hyam, Murphy, McGoldrick, Anderson.

Unused substitutes: Gerken, Parr, Bajner, Tabb, Henshall.

Booked: Berra, Mings

Goals: Bishop (50), Murphy (76)

Attendance: 11,115 (including 1,424 Ipswich Town supporters)

    Latest Match Reports