Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 27 Sep 14 at 16:50 PM

AFC Bournemouth 2-0 Wigan Athletic

Goals from Yann Kermorgant and Simon Francis earned AFC Bournemouth a 2-0 win over Wigan Athletic.

In a game of few chances at the Goldsands Stadium, Kermorgant’s 36th minute finish put the home side in front.

Matt Ritchie crossed for the striker to head past Scott Carson at the back post and give the Cherries the lead against one of last season’s Sky Bet Championship play-off semi-finalists.

The hosts continued to dominate possession after the break and got their reward as Francis finished off a well worked team move.

The attack involved Kermorgant and Ritchie before the ball reached the attacking full-back in the six yard box.

It could have been a more resounding win, with Callum Wilson seeing a header saved on the line 15 minutes from time.

The victory completed a productive week for Eddie Howe’s team, which also included a draw at Watford and a win at Cardiff City in the Capital One Cup third round.

There was one change to the starting line-up from the last league game as Kermorgant replaced Eunan O'Kane, who was named among the substitutes.

There was little to report in the first 25 minutes, with the Cherries creating a number of openings but little in the way of clear cut chances.

Meanwhile, on loan goalkeeper Artur Boruc was enjoying a quiet start to his home debut, watching Emyr Huws send a shot well over in the Latics’ most productive move.

But the game sparked into life just before the half an hour mark as both Ritchie and Kermorgant went close.

Ritchie was set-up by Francis and then drilled an effort only inches wide, while Kermorgant’s goal-bound finish was pushed behind by Carson at full-stretch just moments later.

However, the two combined in the 35th minute to give the hosts the lead. Ritchie drifted to the left hand side and picked out the striker at the back post.

Kermorgant stooped to meet the cross, heading it back across goal for his second of the season.

The second half proved to be just as even, although Wilson continued to cause constant problems for the Wigan defence with his pace.

The Cherries eventually doubled the lead when Francis got forward and finished from close range 20 minutes from time.

It was a fine conclusion to a slick team move, sending the defender through one on one with former England goalkeeper Carson.

However, there was still work for Boruc to do and he saved well from substitute Andy Delort's late free-kick in injury time.

Cherries: Boruc, Francis, Elphick, Cook, Harte, Ritchie, Arter (Gosling 89), Surman, Stanislas (Pugh 84), Wilson, Kermorgant (O’Kane 75).

Unused substitutes: Camp, Smith, Daniels, Pitman.

Booked: Elphick, Arter

Goals: Kermorgant (36), Francis (70)

Wigan Athletic: Carson, Taylor, Ramis (Delort 76), Huws, Boyce, Cowie, Perch, Forshaw, Kiernan (Barnett 65), Fortune, Waghorn (Riera 65).

Unused substitutes: Al Habsi, Tavernier, Maloney, Kvist.

Booked: Cowie

Attendance: 8,754 (including 422 Wigan supporters)

    Latest Match Reports