Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 16 Aug 14 at 17:00 PM

AFC Bournemouth 1-0 Brentford

An inspired double substation saw the Cherries secure their third win of a fantastic opening week, as Eddie Howe's men overcame newly-promoted Brentford 1-0 at the Goldsands Stadium.

Junior Stanislas and Ryan Fraser were introduced late on and combined to keep the Cherries at the top of the Sky Bet Championship for a second successive Saturday evening.

Eddie Howe opted to start with the same eleven who hit four past Huddersfield Town on the opening day of the season, with Lee Camp and Steve Cook both given the go ahead after late fitness scares.

Impressive performances all round in the midweek defeat of Exeter City saw Adam Smith, Fraser and Darryl Flahavan promoted to the bench to replace Elliott Ward, Brett Pitman and Benji Buchel.

The visitors were quickest out of the traps and went close to breaking the deadlock in the first five minutes. A well worked free kick from just outside the box nearly came off for the Bees after Andre Gray was upended by Harry Arter. After three neat touches around the Cherries wall, Gray swiveled on a sixpence and sent one ricocheting off Lee Camp's crossbar, much to the relief of a packed Steve Fletcher Stand. 

Cherries were next to raise the blood pressure when a classic corner routine came close to sneaking inside the post. Arter provided the dummy to Charlie Daniels' corner, and Yann Kermorgant hit it first time to force an excellent save from Brentford stopper David Button, low and to his left.

From then on, the football wasn't pretty and both sides were restricted to efforts from distance. Matt Ritchie was determined to find the net, unleashing four long range shots in the first 45 alone, the pick of the bunch made by Eunan O'Kane, but sent skidding past the upright after an important deflection. 

Ten minutes after the break, the Cherries went a lot closer when Callum Wilson's volley was headed off the line by Jake Bidwell, who saved Button's bacon after he was caught in no man's land whilst coming for a punch. 

Bidwell was saviour once again five minutes later when Marc Pugh's hanging cross was met by Kermorgant on the edge of the six yard box. The Frenchman's header looked destined for the net, but the Bees defender got his body in the way.

Howe decided to change things up after 66 minutes, his radical double switch providing the catalyst for the second three points of the season. Ritchie and Pugh were replaced by Fraser and Stanislas, and with them came fresh and fast legs ready to terrorise Brentford's tiring full backs.

Fraser was bundled over almost immediately and Stanislas showed some neat touches, but in a matter of minutes the pair had combined to put the Cherries ahead. The Scotsman found himself in space on the right hand side and played a teasing cross to the far post, which found Stanislas unmarked and on hand to cushion the ball into the back of the net.

Tommy Elphick's heroic block thwarted an almost certain equaliser ten minutes from time, and Camp pulled off a number of crucial saves. Jonathan Douglas' header kissed the Cherries bar in the dying moments, but it was not enough to pull one back and the Cherries stayed at the summit of England's second tier for another week.

Cherries: Camp, Francis, Cook, Elphick, Daniels, Ritchie (Fraser 66), Arter (Gosling 83), O'Kane, Pugh (Stanislas 66), Kermorgant, Wilson.

Subs: Flahavan, Smith, Harte, Stanislas, Gosling, Fraser, Rantie. 

Booked: Kermorgant.

Goals: Stanislas 72.

Brentford: Button, Bidwell, Craig, Douglas, Odubajo (Smith 80), McCormack, Tebar (Dallas 60), Judge, Gray (Proschwitz 80), Pritchard, Tarkowski.

Subs: Lee, Dean, Dallas, Diagouraga, Smith, Moore, Proschwitz.

Booked: Tarkowski, Craig, McCormack.

Attendace: 10,114 (1,392 Brentford fans)

    Latest Match Reports