Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 14 Jan 14 at 21:35 PM

Cherries set-up Liverpool tie

The Cherries beat Burton Albion 4-1 to earn a place in the FA Cup fourth round and a tie against seven-time winners Liverpool.

Captain Tommy Elphick, a Reds supporter, scored the crucial goal on the stroke of half-time, turning in Brett Pitman’s low cross.

Pitman had given the hosts the lead inside five minutes with a close range volley before Jimmy Phillips’ scored a deflected equaliser shortly before the break.

Although Phillips’ goal made the evening a slightly uncomfortable one for the Cherries, they created more chances and Marc Pugh hit the post early on in the second half.

However, substitute Ryan Fraser scored on his FA Cup debut and Pitman converted a penalty to ease any late tension amongst the home crowd.

Eddie Howe’s team can now look forward to welcoming Liverpool to the Goldsands Stadium on Saturday 25th January – their first fourth round tie at home since 1950.

A quick start was clearly key to the Cherries’ game plan with Harry Arter and Pugh both trying their luck inside the opening 90 seconds.

But it didn’t take long for them to take the lead as Pitman volleyed Matt Ritchie’s centre back across goal and past goalkeeper Dean Lyness after just four minutes.

However, it wasn’t all one way traffic and Ryan Allsop was called upon to make an important save after Adam Buxton had gone one-on-one with the recalled stopper.

Tokelo Rantie was looking lively following his impressive cameo against Wigan Athletic at the weekend, and Lyness had to be at his best to push away the South African striker’s effort from 25 yards.

But for all their dominance in the first half, the Cherries found themselves back on level terms ten minutes before the break.

Phillips sent in an effort from the edge of the area, which deflected off Steve Cook and left Allsop wrong-footed.

The goal certainly lifted the visitors and Lee Bell drilled a low strike just wide, while Lyness was equal to shots from distance from Arter and Rantie.

It was Elphick who eventually found a way past Albion’s keeper, turning Pitman’s cross in from a few yards out. 

And it was almost three when Simon Francis burst down the right and pulled the ball back for Pugh, who hit the post from just inside the area.

Although Lyness denied Pitman midway through the half, the Cherries struggled to create cut chances and find the extra goal to extend their advantage.

With nothing to lose, the Brewers pressed for an equaliser to force a replay. It was the home side who finished the game in style with goals from Fraser and Pitman.

Substitute Fraser lifted the ball over Lyness with a cool finish in the 86th minute before Pitman made it 4-1 from the penalty spot moments later.

Lewis Grabban then hit the post, but Cherries supporters had already started dreaming of a cup upset ahead of referee Iain Williamson blowing the full time whistle.

Cherries: Allsop, Francis, Cook, Elphick, Daniels, Ritchie (Fraser 55), Arter, O’Kane, Pugh (Surman 72), Pitman, Rantie (Grabban 83).

Unused substitutes: Jalal, Harte, Ward, McQuoid.

Booked: Ritchie

Goals: Pitman (5, pen 88), Elphick (45), Fraser (86)

Burton Albion: Lyness, Edwards, Sharps, Diamond, McCrory, Buxton (MacDonald 63), Bell (Hussey 72), Palmer, Phillips, McGurk, Kee (Harness 79).

Unused substitutes: Seigrist, Holness, Weir, Knowles.

Booked: Edwards

Goal: Phillips (34)

Attendance: 10,343 (including 357 Burton Albion supporters)

    Latest Match Reports