Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 28 Jan 14 at 21:35 PM

Substitute Rantie finds the winner

Tokelo Rantie came off the bench to score a 72nd minute winner as the Cherries recorded a 2-1 victory over Huddersfield Town.

Lewis Grabban put the home side ahead with a penalty shortly after the break before Callum Woods got the Terriers back on level terms just moments later.

But substitute Rantie added a second for the Cherries having been played in by Eunan O’Kane and seeing his finish go in off the post.

The South African international's joy was short lived though as he was shown a yellow card for celebrating his second goal for the club with supporters in the Steve Fletcher Stand.

The hosts were also indebted to goalkeeper Lee Camp, who made a good save to deny Nahki Wells in the final ten minutes.

The result lifted Eddie Howe’s team up two places, into 14th position and level with Huddersfield on 34 points.

With new signing Adam Smith having to wait until the weekend to make his debut, Howe opted to name the same team that faced Liverpool three days earlier. The only change to the squad saw Josh McQuoid replace Ryan Fraser on the bench.

While Danny Ward glanced a header wide early on, the Cherries made an encouraging start and only three great saves from Alex Smithies prevented them taking the lead.

The Huddersfield stopper showed outstanding reflexes to deny both Elliott Ward and Harry Arter within the space of a few seconds.

Smithies then got a strong hand to Matt Ritchie’s thumping effort from the edge of the area, pushing the strike behind for a corner.

But Camp had to be on his toes to save a testing long range shot from full-back Paul Dixon at his near post.

Losing Charlie Daniels midway through the first half to injury did little to disrupt the Cherries’ momentum and Simon Francis got forward to force Smithies into another save just before the break.

The hosts started the second half as they did the first with Marc Pugh going close this time with a half volley from a narrow angle.

It was starting to look like the Cherries would struggle to make the breakthrough approaching the hour mark, but they were awarded a penalty ten minutes into the second half.

Pugh was brought down by Tom Smith and Grabban converted from the spot for his 12th goal of the season.

But the lead didn’t last long as Woods played a one-two with Ward before powering a strike past Camp just five minutes later.

With 20 minutes left to play, Howe turned to Rantie and he made an immediate impact, putting the Cherries in front for the second time, finishing from close range.

There was a late chance though for Terriers midfielder Ward, who miscued his volley as the visitors left the Goldsands Stadium empty handed.

Cherries: Camp, Francis, Ward, Elphick, Daniels (Harte 14), Ritchie (MacDonald 88), Arter, O'Kane, Surman (Rantie 69), Pugh, Grabban.

Unused substitutes: Allsop, Cook, McQuoid, Pitman.

Booked: Rantie

Goals: Grabban (pen 55), Rantie (72)

Huddersfield: Smithies, Wallace, Gerrard, Smith, Dixon, Gobern (Southern 61), Clayton, Norwood (Scannell 77), Woods (Stead 79), Ward, Wells.

Unused substitutes: Bennett, Clarke, Lolley, Holmes.

Booked: Smith, Southern, Norwood

Goal: Woods (59)

Attendance: 7,258 (including 356 Huddersfield supporters)

    Latest Match Reports