Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 11 Jan 14 at 16:50 PM

Unbeaten run ended by Wigan

The Cherries’ unbeaten run came to an end with a 3-0 defeat to Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium.

Marc-Antoine Fortune gave the Latics the lead after five minutes with a smart turn and finish as the FA Cup holders got off to a quick start.

Matt Ritchie had the visitors’ best chance of the first half, drifting inside and forcing goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi into a save at his near post.

But the game was beyond Eddie Howe’s team after Fortune’s shot deflected off Elliott Ward and looped over Lee Camp in the 57th minute.

Substitutes Marc Pugh, Brett Pitman and Tokelo Rantie came on for the final 30 minutes and the south African forward almost pulled a goal back, guiding a low cross just wide in the closing stages.

Jordi Gomez completed the scoring with a stunning strike from 25 yards to make sure of all three points for the Latics.

The Cherries went into the game on the back of two wins and a draw from their last three matches on the road, but gave themselves an uphill task when Fortune opened the scoring after five minutes.

The striker collected the ball just inside the area and fired past Camp, who had made a comfortable save to deny on loan Manchester United midfielder Nick Powell just a few moments earlier.

Fortune then almost turned provider as Powell guided a low cross over the bar from inside the six yard box.

Howe’s team weathered the early pressure and Ritchie was unfortunate to see his low strike saved by Al-Habsi after cutting in from the right.

However, Camp was called upon once again towards the end of the first half as he pushed over Ben Watson’s goal bound free-kick.

Despite a penalty appeal from the hosts just after the break, the Cherries started the second half the better of the two teams.

Lewis Grabban went close from a narrow angle, but the Latics doubled their advantage in the 57th minute when Fortune’s shot deflected off Ward and over Camp.

Howe soon sent on Pugh, Pitman and Rantie, and it was the latter who narrowly missed the target having been set-up by Charlie Daniels’ pull back.

Rantie then beat his marker with a couple of step overs, only to see Al-Habsi save his finish at full stretch.

Substitute Gomez was afforded time and space as he found the back on the net from 25 yards in the 90th minute to make it 3-0.

Grabban and Rantie did all the could to find a way past Al-Habsi in injury time, but the Latics stopper was unbeatable.

Wigan Athletic: Al Habsi, Boyce, Barnett, Perch (Browning 45), McCann, McArthur, Watson (Espinoza 78), Powell, McManaman (Gomez 63), Fortune, Beausejour.

Unused substitutes: Nicholls, Crainey, Holt, McClean.

Booked: McCann

Goals: Fortune (5), Ward og (57), Gomez (90)

Cherries: Camp, Francis, Ward, Elphick, Daniels, Ritchie (Pitman 73), Arter (Rantie 64), O'Kane, Surman, Fraser (Pugh 58), Grabban.

Unused substitutes: Allsop, Cook, Harte, Hughes.

Attendance: 12,709 (including 272 Cherries supporters)

    Latest Match Reports