Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 01 Jan 14 at 16:50 PM

Cherries denied club record win

The Cherries were denied a club record third consecutive away win in the second tier following a 1-1 draw with Brighton & Hove Albion.

Lewis Grabban’s 14th minute penalty put the visitors in front on the club’s first ever visit to the Amex Stadium.

Referee Simon Hooper’s decision to award the spot kick was the game’s main talking point, with Seagulls captain Inigo Calderon appearing to have taken the ball rather than bring down Marc Pugh.

But Grabban sent former Manchester United goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak the wrong way to put the visitors in front as he hit double figures for the season.

On loan goalkeeper Lee Camp played a crucial role in maintaining the lead, making three important saves in the first half.

But Stephen Ward got forward to find a 89th minute equaliser for Brighton, heading home after a long spell of pressure.

The opening 15 minutes were far from tentative with the hosts hitting the post and the Cherries taking the lead through Grabban’s penalty.

Camp pushed Andrew Croft’s long range effort on to the post moments before Pugh was brought down by Calderon inside the area.

Brighton were furious, claiming the Spanish full-back had touched the ball first but the Cherries didn’t mind as Grabban converted from 12 yards for his tenth goal of the season.

Camp, who was playing the final game of his loan spell from West Bromwich Albion, then saved Leonardo Ulloa’s strike from a narrow angle as the Seagulls aimed for a quick response.

The travelling contingent were soon chanting ‘Sign him up’ when Camp denied Kazenga Lua Lua, who scored in the corresponding fixture in 2010, midway through the first half.

Camp produced another outstanding save in injury time to keep out Ulloa and maintain the Cherries’ lead.

Lua Lua again went close ten minutes into the second half, but saw his spectacular drive from 25 yards bounce back off the crossbar, while Matt Ritchie tried his luck from a similar distance down the other end.

Both managers opted to make changes with 20 minutes left to play as Howe sent on Ryan Fraser in place of Ritchie and Ashley Barnes, who scored in the previous encounter, came off the Seagulls bench.

After some late pressure the home side claimed a point when Ward got the decisive touch on a loose ball to end the Cherries’ resistance.

And it could have been more for the Seagulls had Barnes aimed his injury time header just under the bar, but both sides to settle for a point after a pulsating encounter.

Brighton: Kuszczak, Ward, Upson, El-Abd, Calderon, Bridcutt, Ince, Crofts (Agustien 65), David (Barnes 71), LuaLua, Ulloa.

Unused substitutes: Brezovan, Andrews, Dunk, Chicksen, Orlandi.

Booked: El-Abd, Bridcutt

Goal: Ward (89)

Cherries: Camp, Francis, Ward, Elphick, Daniels, Ritchie (Fraser 71), Arter, O'Kane, Surman, Pugh, Grabban (Pitman 82).

Unused substitutes: Allsop, Addison, Harte, MacDonald, Rantie.

Booked: Arter

Goal: Grabban pen (14)

Attendance: 28,282 (including 1,668 Cherries supporters)

    Latest Match Reports