Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 06:03 AM

Five star Cherries beat Millwall

The Cherries scored four goals in 16 minutes to complete a stunning comeback as they beat ten man Millwall 5-2.

Martyn Waghorn and Liam Trotter had put the Lions two up inside ten minutes, both scoring with close range finishes.

But Ryan Fraser got the hosts back into the game with his second goal in three appearances, which provided the turning point on an eventful afternoon at the Goldsands Stadium.

Goals just after the restart from Steve Cook and Harry Arter meant the Cherries took the lead for the first time before Lewis Grabban scored from the spot to make sure of the result.

Lions full-back Alan Dunne was sent off in the build-up to the penalty as he handled the ball in the area and collected his second yellow card of the afternoon.

Substitute Brett Pitman scored the Cherries' fifth with a penalty in injury time.

Eddie Howe’s team, who return to action in two weeks’ time against Nottingham Forest, head into the international break in eighth place in the Championship table.

Millwall raced into an early lead with Waghorn squeezing the ball past on loan goalkeeper Stephen Henderson in the sixth minute.

Waghorn then turned provider as he played in Trotter, who lifted the ball over Henderson in front of the Lions supporters with a neat finish.

The Cherries got going towards the end of the first half with Grabban and Fraser going close with long range efforts.

But it was Fraser who found the net just before half-time as he cut in from the left and scored with a terrific strike from the edge of the area.

The goal certainly lifted the home side and their supporters and Collison was unfortunate not to open his account in a red and black shirt in added on time at the end of the first period.

However, the break came too soon for Howe’s team and they headed to the changing rooms a goal down.

But whatever was said at half-time clearly worked as Cook headed in Harte’s corner just five minutes after the restart.

Only the crossbar then stopped the Cherries taking the lead for the first time when Harte’s free-kick clipped off the woodwork.

But they didn’t have to wait long as the unmarked Arter smahed the ball past David Forde to set the Cherries on their way to three points.

Grabban then made sure of the win, calmly converting a penalty after Dunne had handled in the area, which was his second bookable offence of the afternoon.

The game was over as a contest with the visitors down to ten men and the Cherries were able to comfortably the final 30 minutes.

Tokelo Rantie, who will now join up with the South Africa squad for their friendly against Morroco on Friday, and Marc Pugh were replaced by Andrew Surman and Eunan O’Kane late on.

Pitman also came off the bench and scored from 12 yards out in the final action of the game.

Cherries: Henderson, Francis, Cook, Ward, Harte, Fraser, Arter (Pitman 86), Collison, Pugh (O’Kane 83), Grabban, Rantie (Surman 77).

Unused substitutes: Jalal, Elphick, Hughes, Thomas.

Goals: Fraser (43), Cook (50), Arter (55), Grabban (pen 59)

Booked: Arter

Millwall: Forde, Dunne, Robinson, Osborne, Malone, Abdou, Trotter (Morison 58), Derry (58), Martin, Waghorn (Connolly 61), Woolford.

Unused substitutes: Bywater, Lowry, Bailey, Keogh, Easter.

Goals: Waghorn (6), Trotter (10)

Booked: Dunne, Malone, Derry

Sent off: Dunne

Attendance: 9,624 (including 1,378 Millwall supporters)

    Latest Match Reports