Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 06:03 AM

Cherries take a point from the Riverside

The Cherries took a point from their longest away trip of the season following an eventful 3-3 draw with Middlesbrough.

Eddie Howe’s team were two goals ahead after just 13 minutes thanks to two Brett Pitman penalties.

The first was given when Tokelo Rantie was brought down inside the box before Frazer Richardson was adjudged to have handled the ball at the back post.

But Boro fought back with goals from Kei Kamara and Mustapha Carayol, who saw his shot take a touch off Steve Cook which carried the ball over Ryan Allsop.

The second half was much more subdued until Grant Leadbitter scored the fifth goal of the afternoon to complete the turnaround at the Riverside Stadium.

However, Jonathan Woodgate turned the ball into his own net from Elliott Ward’s low centre to earn the Cherries a point and keep them in the top ten.

Boro captain Rhys Williams was also sent off in the final stages for bringing down Wes Thomas when he was through on goal.

Howe opted to start with the 3-5-2 formation that helped his side to three points on Tuesday evening and the decision paid dividends after just four minutes.

Rantie, who was making his full debut, won the ball back by the half way line and played a one-two with Lewis Grabban before being brought down just inside the box by Williams.

Pitman took the spot kick and found the back of the net as he placed his effort down the middle of the goal.

Jacob Butterfied forced Allsop into a save down the other end, but the Cherries were soon 2-0 up as Pitman once again scored from 12 yards out.

Grabban saw his back post header strike the arm of Richardson and referee Graham Salisbury pointed to the spot for the second time in eight minutes.

Pitman decided to go to the 'keeper's right this time, and despite Steele getting a touch, he doubled the Cherries’ lead.

It was the perfect start for the visitors, but they were soon back on level terms after Boro scored two goals in 13 minutes.

First, Kamara forced the ball home from a couple of yards out and then Carayol’s long range effort took a deflection and looped over Allsop.

Rantie had arguably the best chance to score the fifth goal of the game towards the end of the first half as he got on the end of Richard Hughes’ low cross.

The South African found some space at the back post and took a touch, but his strike was deflected behind for a corner following a brave block.

Although there was an early chance for Albert Adomah, the start of the second half was much less eventful than the first.

But perhaps Thomas, sent on in place of Rantie after an hour, would have felt hard done by not to be awarded a penalty when he went down under pressure from Williams.

The pressure from the home side had been growing and they took the lead for the first time in the 74th minute. Leadbitter’s run from midfield was spotted and he found a way past Allsop to complete Boro’s comeback.

But there were two more twist in the final ten minutes as the Cherries turned the game on its head once more.

Woodgate inadvertently poked the ball beyond Steele to make it 3-3 before Williams was red carded as he brought down Thomas as the last man.

Allsop then made a fantastic injury time save to keep out a close range header and the scores level.

Middlesbrough: Steele, Richardson, Williams, Woodgate, Friend, Whitehead (Varga 90), Adomah (Jutkiewicz 90), Leadbitter, Carayol (Gibson 87), Butterfield, Kamara.

Unused substitutes: Leutwiler, Hoyte, Halliday, Smallwood.

Goals: Kamara (19), Carayol (32), Leadbitter (74)

Booked: Kamara, Leadbitter

Sent off: Williams

Cherries: Allsop, Cook, Elphick, Ward, Francis, O’Kane, Hughes (MacDonald 76), Pugh, Pitman, Rantie (Thomas 60), Grabban.

Unused substitutes: Flahavan, Addison, Harte, McDermott, McQuoid.

Goals: Pitman (pen 4, pen 12), Woodgate og (83)

Booked: Pugh, Allsop, Cook

Attendance: 13,617 (including 340 Cherries supporters)

    Latest Match Reports