Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 17 Sep 13 at 21:35 PM

Pugh scores late winner for the Cherries

Marc Pugh scored a late winner as the Cherries returned to winning ways with a 1-0 victory over Barnsley at the Goldsands Stadium.

Most of the talk in the build-up to the game was about new arrival Tokelo Rantie, but Pugh kept a cool head to power past Luke Steele in the 77th minute to net the only goal of the game.

Chances were few and far between in the first half, although Chris Dagnall and Steve Dawson both hit the post in the space of a few seconds midway through the opening period.

But it was Pugh who made sure Eddie Howe’s team claimed all three points with his second goal of the season.

The Cherries were the more dominant team after the interval and Rantie and Lewis Grabban were unfortunate not to break the deadlock with close range efforts.

Howe named the same starting line-up that featured against Blackpool on Saturday, while Rantie was named amongst the substitutes after training with his new team-mates for the first time on Monday.

Barnsley went into the game without a point from their travels this season, but it was soon obvious that they would be hard to break down.  

And despite enjoying most of the possession, Shaun MacDonald’s header and a Ryan Fraser volley was as close as the Cherries came in an uneventful first 20 minutes.

But it was the Reds who almost took the lead midway through the half when O’Grady hit the post and Dawson also struck the woodwork with the follow-up.

It seemed a simple finish for the midfielder from the rebound, but he could only sidefoot the ball against the upright.

The near miss seemed to spark the visitors into life and Tomasz Cywka tested Ryan Allsop from the edge of the area with a low drive.

Rantie lifted the home crowd as he warmed-up in front of the Steve Fletcher stand before Grabban sent an effort from distance wide of the target towards the end of the half.

A well worked one-two between Brett Pitman and Grabban put the club’s top goalscorer through on goal, but he sent his finish just off target 60 seconds after the restart.

However, Howe was dealt a blow when he lost Charlie Daniels to what appeared to be a foot injury in the 51st minute. The full-back was replaced by captain Tommy Elphick as the Cherries switched to a 3-5-2 formation.

Elphick was soon joined on the pitch by Rantie, who was given just over 30 minutes on his debut after he replaced Fraser.

It took less than a minute for the South African international to race clear of the Barnsley defender, stand up his marker before shooting narrowly wide.

Elliott Ward then guided a half-volley wide and Grabban had a close range header saved as the hosts moved into the ascendency.

The pressure duly paid off 13 minutes from time as Pugh took control of a loose ball and fired past Steele to give the Cherries a well deserved lead.

It could have been more comfortable in the end with Rantie and Pitman having late chances, but a one goal advantage was enough to help the former Malmo striker start his career in a red and black shirt with a win.

Cherries: Allsop, Francis, Cook, Ward, Daniels (Elphick 51), Fraser (Rantie 55), MacDonald (Hughes 87), O'Kane, Pugh, Pitman, Grabban.

Unused substitutes: Flahavan, Harte, McQuoid, Thomas. 

Goal: Pugh (77)

Barnsley: Steele, Wiseman, Ramage, Cranie, Kennedy (Noble-Lazarus 80), Dawson, Perkins, Dagnall (Scotland 72), Cywka (Jennings 64), Etuhu, O’Grady.

Unused substitutes: Dibble, Mvoto, Mellis, Rose.

Booked: Dagnall.

Attendance: 7,574 (including 364 away supporters)

    Latest Match Reports