Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Wed 17 Jul 13 at 06:03 AM

Cherries slip to first home defeat

The Cherries dropped down to ninth in the Championship table following a 2-1 defeat to league leaders Blackpool at the Goldsands Stadium.

Ricardo Fuller’s early header was cancelled out by Lewis Grabban after just 12 minutes, but Neal Bishop ensured the Seasiders claimed all three points with a close range header at the start of the second half.

The first home loss of the season was harsh on Eddie Howe’s team after an impressive first half showing and a late rally, which saw Ryan Fraser and Grabban go close to finding an equaliser.

Blackpool played most of the second half with ten men after full-back Jack Robinson, who is on a season-long loan from Liverpool, was sent off for two bookable offences.

Harry Arter missed the Cherries’ first home game since the win over Wigan through injury, which meant Eunan O’Kane made his first league start of the season.

But the most notable absence was that of new signing Tokelo Rantie, who is expected to be available for the visit of Barnsley on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Harry Cornick was included in a first team squad for the first time since joining the club from Christchurch in the summer.

Grabban set the tone for an entertaining first half when he guided a header wide after less than 60 seconds and it took just seven minutes for Fuller to open the scoring.

The former Stoke forward got the decisive touch on a long throw to put the league leaders into an early lead, but it didn’t last long.

Grabban responded for the Cherries in the 12th minute, sweeping the ball past goalkeeper Matt Gilks for his fifth goal of the season.

The in-form striker then saw an effort from the edge of the area deflect just over the bar before almost getting a touch on Pitman’s delivery as the hosts looked to complete an early turn around.

But the Tangerines went close to taking a lead into the interval through Thomas Ince at the other end. The highly rated winger travelled half the length of the pitch and got away from his marker, only to hit the post from a narrow angle.

The second half started in much the same fashion as the first and, again, it was the visitors who took the lead.

Ince swung in a corner from the right hand side and the ball bounced off a body on its way into the net. Bishop celebrated the goal but it looked as if a Cherries defender may have got the final touch at the near post. 

Isaiah Osbourne sliced a volley wide with Paul Ince’s side in the ascendency, but they were soon down to ten men after Robinson was shown a red card for a second bookable offence.

Howe sent on Wes Thomas to help the Cherries make the most of their one man advantage, and the former Blackpool loanee joined Grabban and Pitman up front for the final 20 minutes.

He was soon at the heart of the action and helped a cross wide with a header in front of the Steve Fletcher Stand shortly after his introduction.

Fraser and Grabban had further chances late on, but they were unable to find a way past Gilks and end the visitor’s resilience.

Pitman did have the ball in the back of the net in injury time, only for the celebrations to be cut short after the assistant flagged the striker offside.

Cherries: Allsop, Francis, Cook, Ward, Daniels, Fraser, MacDonald, O’Kane, Pugh (Thomas 71), Pitman, Grabban.

Unused substitutes: Flahavan, Elphick, Harte, Hughes, Cornick, McQuoid.

Goal: Grabban (12)

Blackpool: Gilks, Basham (Orr 52), Broadfoot, MacKenzie, Robinson, Ferguson, Martinez (Delfouneso 62), Osbourne, Bishop, Ince, Fuller (Tyson 75).

Unused substitutes: Halstead, Chopra, Grant, Barkhuizen.

Goals: Fuller (7), Bishop (48)

Booked: Robinson, Ferguson, Gilks

Sent off: Robinson

Attendance: 9,446 (800 including away supporters)

    Latest Match Reports