Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 03 Aug 13 at 17:00 PM

Grabban double ensures perfect start

A wonder goal from Lewis Grabban ensured the Cherries marked their return to the second tier with a thoroughly deserved win.

Grabban scored a goal either side of Yann Kermorgant’s equaliser to provide the Cherries with the perfect start to the new season.

The athletic forward opened the scoring with a close range header in the 26th minute before restoring the lead with an unstoppable drive from 25 yards.

It was a display full of energy, quality and purpose from Eddie Howe's men, which was worthy of three points on a day that will be remembered for years to come by Cherries supporters.

While the opening 25 minutes produced little in the way of chances, the game was shaping up to be a fiercely competitive and absorbing encounter.

Harry Arter and Steve Cook looked composed and comfortable on the Championship stage, and Mohamed Coulibaly up against Rhoys Wiggins was turning into a battle of pace and power in front of the main stand.

Coulibaly guided an early effort narrowly wide from the edge of the area before Kermorgant wasted a chance from similar distance as both goalkeepers enjoyed untroubled starts to the season.

But Ben Hamer was soon picking the ball out of the back of the net when Grabban scored the first goal of the 2013/14 campaign with a well-placed header.

The move was so simple but proved to be the Addicks undoing. Marc Pugh found Arter from a quick corner, who then picked out the unmarked striker in the six yard box and he sent the ball looping into the sidenetting.

The goal sparked the game into life and winger Callum Harriott tried to provide a quick reply for his team, but the Cherries were firmly in control.

Arter, Grabban and Wes Thomas all had chances that narrowly missed the target and goalkeeper Hamer would have been a relieved man between the sticks in front of the Ted MacDougall stand.

Suddenly, the Cherries appeared to be worthy of more than a one goal lead and that it would only be a matter of time until they capitalised further on their dominance.

However, they were back on level terms just three minutes after the restart when Kermorgant powered an acrobatic strike past Ryan Allsop.

A low cross from the left had taken a deflection off Shaun MacDonald on its way to the Charlton forward, who stunned the home supporters with his clinical finish.

Howe’s team lost Coulibaly to injury shortly afterwards as the visitors began to take control, only for a moment of magic from Grabban to turn the game back in the Cherries’ favour.

Grabban found himself in plenty of space as he drifted inside and fired past Hamer from 25 yards to spark the Goldsands Stadium into celebration.

The goal gave the hosts plenty of confidence but their supporters had to endure a tense moment when Bradley Pritchard’s header beat Allsop, only for debutant Elliott Ward to clear off the line.

But the winger effectively ended his side’s hopes of finding a way back into the game when he put in a reckless challenge in on substitute Ryan Fraser.

Pritchard was duly sent off and the Cherries made sure of the win with the extra man advantage.

New signing Andrew Surman replaced Thomas late on, while Grabban was given a standing ovation as left the field in injury time.

Cherries: Allsop, Francis, Ward, Cook, Daniels, Coulibaly (Fraser 55), Arter, MacDonald, Pugh, Thomas (Surman 85), Grabban (Pitman 90).

Unused substitutes: Flahavan, Elphick, Harte, O’Kane, Pitman.

Goals: Grabban (26, 66) 

Booked: Arter

Charlton: Hamer, Solly, Morrison, Dervite, Wiggins, Pritchard, Gower (Stephen 76), Hughes (Green 76), Harriott, Sordell (Church 65), Kermorgant.

Unused substitutes: Pope, Evina, Cort, Wilson.

Goal: Kermorgant (49)

Sent off: Pritchard

Attendance: 10,108 (including 1,421 Charlton supporters)

    Latest Match Reports