Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 15 Jan 13 at 21:35 PM

The Cherries unbeaten run came to an end with defeat to Wigan Athletic in a FA Cup third round replay.

The hosts created the better chances and both Eunan O’Kane and Marc Pugh hit the bar late on in both halves, but Mauro Boselli’s spectacular finish proved to be the difference.

The Cherries came close to finding an equaliser late on, and one of the main post-match talking points was whether Simon Francis should have gone down under pressure in the box with 15 minutes left to play.

Several players showcased their talent against top flight opposition including Steve Cook and O’Kane, while Shwan Jalal made a superb save in the second half.

The result meant the Cherries’ 18 game unbeaten run came to an end in front of a sold out crowd at the Goldsands Stadium.

Manager Eddie Howe made two changes to the team that started against Wigan, with Lewis Grabban and Wes Thomas coming in for Matt Tubbs and Marc Pugh.

The Cherries started positively and looked more than a match for their Premier League opponents. O’Kane, who opened the scoring at the DW Stadium ten days ago, combined well with Francis before shooting narrowly over the bar.

Encouraged by the early attacks, Howe’s side continued to push forward and Charlie Daniels sent in a dangerous loss cross which just evaded Grabban at the back post.

However, it was Wigan who took the lead through Boselli. The Argentinian intercepted Harry Arter’s pass before taking a touch and powering the ball into the top corner from 20 yards.

The next meaningful chance also fell to the Latics. Jordi Gomez played in Callum McManaman, who saw his low drive cut out at the near post by Jalal.

The Cherries suffered a blow ten minutes before the break as Grabban had to be substitutes following a heavy challenge.

Pugh, who had tormented his marker and was unlucky not to be awarded a penalty in the original tie, was sent on as his replacement.

Only the woodwork prevented the Cherries going into the break on level terms. With two minutes to go before half-time, Thomas picked up a loose pass and laid the ball off to O’Kane, who sent a shot crashing against the bar.

The hosts kept pushing and Howe wouldn’t have wanted to hear the sound of the half-time whistle with his team forcing a succession of corners towards the end of first period.

The interval did little for the home side’s momentum and it took some time for them to put the Latics under pressure again.

But they did come close to equalising on the hour mark. First, Thomas aimed a header straight at substitute goalkeeper Ali Al-Habsi. Then, Josh McQuoid came within centimeters of getting the telling touch on 
Daniels’ long throw.

At the other end of the pitch, Wigan put the ball in the back of the net for a second time but it was quickly ruled out.

Referee John Moss disallowed Roman Golobart’s header after he was judged to have climbed on his marker at a corner in front of the Steve Fletcher Stand.

The Cherries stepped up their search for a goal, and Arter and substitute Wes Fogden had shots turned away.

But it was Jalal who kept them in the tie. He pulled off a great one-handed to deny Boselli, while O’Kane blocked the follow-up with a heroic last-ditch tackle.

15 minutes from time Francis beat Maynor Figueroa to Arter’s through ball, but was knocked off balance by the defender. Francis stayed on his feet, only to have a low cross hacked away. Had he gone down, the 
hosts would have surely been handed a penalty.

Matt Tubbs was sent on for one final push, and it was once again the bar that stopped the Cherries finding the back of the net. 

Pugh cut in from the left and powered in a shot from the edge of the area. Al-Habsi was beaten and could only watch as the shot rebounded back of the bar.

There was more drama as Nouha Dicko missed a golden opportunity to score a second for the Latics. Meanwhile, Tubbs had a free kick brilliantly save by Al-Habsi and Daniels appeared to be bundled over in the penalty area.

It wasn’t to be but the Cherries had little to be ashamed of after pushing a top flight side all the way over 180 minutes.

Cherries: Jalal, Francis, Elphick, Cook, Daniels, Hughes (Tubbs 81), Arter, O'Kane, Grabban (Pugh 34), Thomas, McQuoid (Fogden 66).

Unused substitutes: James, McDermott, Partington, Pitman.

Booked: Arter

Wigan: Pollitt (Al Habsi h-t), Henriquez, Gomez, McManaman, Boyce, Espinoza, Boselli (Mustoe 90), Fyvie, Stam Golobart, Figueroa.

Unused substitutes: McArthur, Redmond, Dicko, Buxton, Campabadal.

Goal: Boselli (18)

Booked: Stam, McManaman, Espinoza.

Attendance: 8, 890 (including 237 Wigan supporters).

    Latest Match Reports