Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 22 Jan 13 at 21:37 PM

The Cherries moved back into the play-off places with a 2-1 win over Hartlepool at Victoria Park.

They took the lead through a first half header from Josh McQuoid, which was cancelled out by substitute Jack Baldwin six minutes after the interval.

But Lewis Grabban’s 63rd minute penalty proved to be the difference on a cold evening on Teeside.

The Cherries were good value for the win, but they also had to dig deep at times with the hosts looking for vital points in their bid to avoid relegation.

The result was a fantastic reward for the 68 supporters who had made the 660 mile round trip to watch their team.

Manager Eddie Howe made five changes to the team that lost at Walsall at the weekend, and handed a debut to on loan defender Dan Seaborne.

New signing Ryan Allsop was amongst the substitutes with David James omitted from the squad, while Ryan Fraser was absent with a muscle strain that is expected to keep him out for two to three weeks.

The Cherries took control in the early stages and had two good opportunities to open the scoring from corners inside the first ten minutes.

First, Grabban missed the target when he met Charlie Daniels’ low delivery 12 yards out before Tommy Elphick guided a header wide moments later.

Hartlepool’s Jonathan Franks then went one-on-one with Shwan Jalal but aimed his shot at the Cherries goalkeeper after getting away from Seaborne and Richard Hughes.

But it was the travelling supporters who had something to cheer about after McQuoid gave the Cherries the lead in the 28th minutes.

It was a real moment of quality with Eunan O’Kane sending in a hanging cross from the edge of the area, which was powered home by McQuoid.

However, the lead could have been short lived had Ritchie Humphreys not missed a great chance to equalise.

Jonathan Franks picked out the midfielder with a cross from the byline, but Humphreys glanced his header wide of Jalal’s left-hand post from close range.

The Cherries looked comfortable towards the end of the first half and were well worth their one goal lead at the break.

They continued to push for a second goal at the start of the second half, only to find themselves back on level terms six minutes after the restart.

Evan Horwood lofted in a deep cross which was pushed on to the bar by Jalal, with the rebound bundled home by Baldwin.

But the Cherries were back in front just over ten minutes later, with Grabban scoring from the spot.

The striker burst down the right and teed up O’Kane, who was brought down by a Sam Collins challenge before he could get a shot away. 

Grabban made no mistake from 12 yards, sending Scott Flinders the wrong way as he scored his 11th goal of the campaign.

There were chances for both teams in the final 20 minutes, and Jalal and Flinders made important saves.

The Pools ‘keeper produced a great stop to deny Harry Arter, while Jalal pushed away Baldwin’s goal-bound drive.

As Mick Rusell blew the final whistle, there was good news from London with Leyton Orient scoring a late equaliser against third-placed Brentford.

Hartlepool: Flinders, Austin, Collins, Hartley, Horwood, Walton (Poole 67), Humphreys, Sweeney (Baldwin 5), Franks, Wyke, Howard. 

Substitutes: McHugh, Holden, Luscombe, Monkhouse, James.

Goal: Baldwin (51)

Cherries: Jalal, Francis, Seaborne, Elphick, Daniels (Fogden 89), McQuoid, Arter, Hughes, O’Kane, Pugh, Grabban (Tubbs 86).

Substitutes: Allsop, Partington, McDermott, Pitman, Fletcher.

Goals: McQuoid (28), Grabban (pen 63)

Booked: Hughes

Attendance: 2, 502 (68 Cherries supporters)

    Latest Match Reports