Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Jan 13 at 16:50 PM

The Cherries will face Wigan Athletic in a FA Cup third round replay next week after holding the Premier League outfit to a draw at the DW Stadium.

Eddie Howe’s side impressed in the first half with some positive and attacking football, and took the lead through a superb Eunan O’Kane strike from the edge of the area.

The Latics improved in the second period and both on loan Manchester United forward Angelo Henriquez and Maynor Figuerora struck the bar as the hosts pressed for an equaliser.

Jordi Gomez did pull his side back on level terms 19 minutes from time when he tapped in the rebound from his saved penalty.

The replay was the minimum reward the Cherries and the large travelling support deserved following a spirited and brave performance.

Both sets of supporters will be looking out for ball number four in Sunday’s fourth round draw, which takes place at 3.30pm on ITV.

After three games in the space of six days over the festive period, Howe opted to make four changes. Shwan Jalal, Richard Hughes, Josh McQuoid and Matt Tubbs were named in the starting line-up, with Lewis Grabban missing out through illness.

While Wigan shaded the opening stages, the Cherries more than held their own and created the first clear-cut chance of the afternoon.

Charlie Daniels escaped his marker following a slick one-two with O’Kane before picking out Matt Tubbs at the back post. The striker took a touch inside the six yard box but couldn’t get a shot away.

In the 20th minute, Mauro Boselli spun away from Steve Cook only to send his effort wide, but the visitors continued to grow in confidence.

Marc Pugh seemed to have the beating of his marker and was denied what looked like a certain penalty just after the half hour mark.

The winger skipped past defender Roman Golobart before being upended by a strong challenge just inside the box. To add insult to injury Pugh was then booked for simulation in front of the stunned travelling contingent.

Undeterred, Howe’s side continued to push forward and were rewarded for their bravery when they took the lead just before half-time.

O’Kane collected a loose ball 20 yards from goal and created some space with a deft feint before powering his shot beyond Pollitt to spark wild celebrations in the away end. A shock was on the cards.

Latics manager Roberto Martinez responded by sending on Henriquez at the break, and the Mexican came within the width of the crossbar from grabbing an equaliser. He glanced Maynor Figuerora’s cross on to the woodwork as the hosts piled on the pressure.

Moments later McQuoid went close to making it two with a lob from the edge of the area, but Pollitt was relieved to see the ball land on the roof of the net.

Wigan were frustrated time and time again in their search for a way back into the game as the tireless Harry Arter and O’Kane battled away in the midfield.

Captain Tommy Elphick and Cook had also produced heroic displays in the heart of the defence, and the pair would have breathed a sigh of relief after seeing Figuerora’s speculative strike bounce back off the bar.

However, the home side drew themselves level with little over 20 minutes left to play. Gomez had seen his spot kick saved after Simon Francis had been judged to have pulled Figuerora’s shirt, but tapped in the rebound. 

The tie was far from over and substitute Wes Fogden had a shot pushed away, while Arter blasted over from close range.

Howe’s men enjoyed their best spell after Gomez’s goal, and Pugh and Cook both went close to finding the back of the net.

In the end, they had to settle for a well-earned draw as referee Robert Madley blew the final whistle.

Wigan: Pollitt, Stam, Boyce, Golobart, Figueroa, Redmond (Henriquez h-t), Fyvie (McCarthur 79), Jones (Dicko 79), McManaman, Gomez, Boselli.

Unused substitutes: Al Habsi, Espinoza, Kiernan, Campabadal.

Goal: Gomez (70).

Cherries: Jalal, Francis, Cook, Elphick, Daniels, McQuoid (Pitman 88), Arter, Hughes (Partington 90), O’Kane, Pugh, Tubbs (Fogden 66).

Unused substitutes: James, McDermott, Demouge, Fletcher.

Goal: O’Kane (41). 

Booked: Pugh, McQuoid.

    Latest Match Reports