Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 01 Dec 12 at 16:50 PM

The Cherries will take their place in the FA Cup third round draw with the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal on Sunday after beating Carlisle at Brunton Park.

Two goals in six first half minutes from Wes Fogden and Eunan O’Kane and a late Marc Pugh tap in sealed the visitor’s progress through to the next round.

Fogden put Eddie Howe’s side in front with a deflected shot from the edge of the area before setting up O’Kane to smash home the second.

Mark Beck did pull a goal back with a far post header 18 minutes from time, but it wasn’t enough to prevent Carlisle from exiting the competition as Pugh scored a late third.

The result was a fantastic reward for the 430-strong travelling contingent, who made the 358 mile long trip to Brunton Park.

And they will be looking out for ball number 48 in tomorrow’s draw, which takes place at 2.40pm on ITV.

With Lee Barnard unavailable, Harry Arter suspended and Miles Addison injured, there were starts for Brett Pitman, Steve Cook and O’Kane.

While Shwan Jalal replaced David James between the sticks and Fogden was named in Howe’s starting line-up for the first time.

The Cherries started the game on the front foot, with Charlie Daniels and Marc Pugh causing problems down the left, but the first chances of the afternoon fell to Carlisle’s Matty Robson.

The winger was twice denied by Jalal from a narrow angle before he volleyed wide from close range.

But it was the visitors who opened the scoring through Fogden. The tireless midfielder squeezed a shot from just outside the box past Adam Collin after Pitman’s corner had been headed away at the near post.

And it was two six minutes later. Pugh and Fogden combined on the edge of the area to set up O’Kane, who slammed the ball into the net for his first goal in Bournemouth colours.

Centre half Danny Livesey had a volley cleared off the line as the hosts searched for a way back into the game, but the Cherries went into the break with a two goal lead.

Howe’s men started the second period in assured fashion and had a great opportunity to extend their advantage when Lewis Grabban rounded off a swift counter attack.

The summer signing brought the ball to the edge of the area, but with Pitman unmarked to his right, he opted to shoot and had a low drive blocked.

Carlisle pulled one back with a little over 15 minutes left to play. Substitute Jon Paul McGovern sent in a swirling free-kick, which was headed in at the back post by Beck.

The goal set up a nervous final 18 minutes of the game, and Gregg Abbott’s team went close to scoring a equaliser when Joe Garner played a neat one-two with Beck before facing Jalal into a smart save.

But Pugh, who had been outstanding throughout, had the last word as he tapped in Simon Francis’ low cross in the 90th minute to ease worries of a late comeback.

Referee Paul Tierney blew the final whistle just a few minutes later to send the away supporters home dreaming of a glamorous tie in the next round.

Cherries: Jalal, Francis, Cook, Elphick, Daniels, Fogden, O’Kane, MacDonald (McQuoid, 58), Pugh, Grabban (Fletcher, 90), Pitman (Partington, 82).

Unused substitutes: James, McDermott, Demouge, Tubbs.

Goals: Fogden (30), O’Kane (36), Pugh (90).

Carlisle: Collin, Simek (Gjokak, h/t), Livesey, Edwards, Chantler, Symington (McGovern, h/t), Potts, Thirwell, Robson (Welsh, 57), Beck, Garner.

Unused substitutes: Gillespie, Noble, Todd, McGinty.

Goal: Beck (72).

Attendance: 2, 980 (430 Cherries supporters).

    Latest Match Reports