Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 03 Nov 12 at 17:00 PM

Cherries make cup progress in style

The Cherries booked their place in the FA Cup with Budweiser second round with a comfortable win over Dagenham & Redbridge.

Josh McQuoid put the hosts in front 15 minutes before half-time and Marc Pugh added a second with a second half strike.

McQuoid, who scored a hat-trick in the first round two seasons ago at the Goldsands Stadium, made it three with a volley from the edge of the area.

And there was time for substitute Wes Fogden to round off the win with a great individual effort in front of the Steve Flecther Stand.

Manager Eddie Howe handed starts to Shwan Jalal, Steve Cook and Matt Tubbs. Wes Thomas, who returned from a loan spell with Portsmouth earlier this week, was unavailable after picking up an injury in training.

With Miles Addison left out of the starting line-up for the first time this season, Tommy Elphick wore the captain’s armband.

Despite the first chance of the afternoon falling to Daggers midfielder Michael Spillane, the Cherries quickly took control of the tie.

First, Tubbs shot over from close range before Simon Francis had a powerful effort deflected behind.

McQuoid wasted a great opportunity to open the scoring when he mistimed his volley inside the penalty area, but no made mistake moments later after Chris Lewington failed to claim Lewis Grabban’s cross at the near post. The winger found the net with a clam finish for his second goal in three games.

Lewington, who had received treatment following a collision with Tubbs in the first half, was replaced by former Cherries goalkeeper Jordan Seabright at the break.

The 18-year-old, making the first senior appearance of his career, was soon called into action and stopped Pugh adding to the Cherries’ total with a fine diving save.

Howe’s side upped the tempo, and with Pugh in top form, Seabright looked like he was going to be in for a busy afternoon.

The Cherries were producing some slick, attacking football and were rewarded for their endeavour with a second goal just before the hour mark. 

Francis burst forward from defence only to be denied by a smart stop, but Pugh was on hand to find the top corner from the rebound. The goal was just rewards for a vintage performance from the 25-year-old who tormented his marker all afternoon.

The hosts clearly weren’t content with a two goal lead and Tubbs and McQuoid both saw efforts turned away after some brave blocks.

Down the other end, goalkeeper Shwan Jalal had enjoyed a quiet afternoon and watched on as Dwight Gale, subject of a £350,000 bid from Champsionship side Peterborough, headed over from close range.

McQuoid made sure of a place in Sunday’s second round draw with a volley from the edge of the area.

Fogden went close to making it four with a header from close range, but Seabright kept out his former teammate with a reflex save.

McQuoid had a couple of chances to claim the match ball before the final whistle, but it was Fogden who had the last word as he found the side netting with a cool finish.

Cherries: Jalal, Francis, Elphick, Cook, Daniels, McQuoid, MacDonald, Arter (O’Kane, 81), Pugh, Grabban (Fogden, 81), Tubbs (McDermott, 71).

Unused substitutes: James, Addison, Partington, Fletcher.

Goals: McQuoid (30 & 78), Pugh (58), Fogden (87).

Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington (Seabright h-t), Wilkinson, Ilseanmi, Doe, Spillane (Woodall, 27), Williams, Elito, Saunders (Hoyte, 72), Howell, Ogogo, Gayle.

Unused substitutes: Green, Reed, Maher.

Booked: Spillane, Elito.

    Latest Match Reports